1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass guitar slap technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by hobb185, Mar 2, 2008.

1. hobb185

hobb185

Feb 16, 2008
    I don't know if this has ever been thought of before

When you slap with your pinky and thumb back and forth(if you had herd of this please message me)

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    (have heard)

Don't seem like proper technique and could cause stress injuries really while imitating a "hang loose" sign.

3. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    coughSHAKAcough :ninja:

4. My guitar player friend asked me that this weekend, I though it sounded hard to do and impractical :meh:

5. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    It has been done.

6. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I've been doing this since I was little (on desks in school) but have never found a good use for this on the bass. It's fast and flashy but awkward and tiring. There are better methods out there.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I used to do it a bit, its ok.

8. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    not practical imo but I have heard of it

9. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    i wouldnt call it a new technique at all, its just using a different finger

10. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    I saw a video once of a guy that perfected the technique and he had crazy, ridiculous speed and accuracy with it. He was using it in a metal context, but it can obviously be used for anything. I do it sometimes but only on the lowest string. I think Robert Trujillo does it also.

11. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney

Here you go. This guy is a TB member too I believe. He's not quite using his pinky but it's along the same lines

12. like the korn guy?

13. have to admit, I know most people think fieldy sounds bad,... but to emulate his sound/technique does take a bit of effort to get it cleanly I think!

that said, compared to all the other techniques,... why stop at thumb and pinky, why not use all the fingers like that youtube video has ;)

14. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    My drummer likes to do it when he's dinking around on one of my basses, can't really see where it has potential but to each his own i guess.

15. N8_DO

N8_DO

Nov 8, 2007
    Texas