New Bass Guitar..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grudgenog, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Grudgenog

Grudgenog Guest

Aug 6, 2005
    New York
    Hey guys,

I am just curious, what is an affordable, well-made bass out there?
    I have been playing bass for... maybe 6-8 months, and I think I need to shell out the bones for a new one. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    my bass instructor told me today Indonesian made Squiers are good. He said the Chinese ones use cheap hardware and wood.
  3. SQUIRE???

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    So instead of mocking the poster, we should take the opportunity to educate.

The general concensus on Squiers is that they are a hit or miss proposition with regards to quality. I guess that even in Asia they have Monday and Friday guitars.

What's the budget like Grudge?
  5. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Original poster:

I'm a member of the SX bandwagon. Depending on your budget-if it's really low e.g. $100-300, an SX. You have a wide variety of basses to chose from. Whether it's a 4 string P-bass or a 5 string J and a wide variey in between.

AerospaceGuy-i would listen to syciprider . IME-Squiers are hit or miss. If you can-play the bass first. Some Affinity P-basses [lowest of their line] have felt pretty good [reminded me of an SX], and some felt pretty bad.

Tbirdbassist-now i'm on the tired and a bit irritated end before i came reading so i'm not as friendly as normal, but if you must insult someone-please at least spell the brand name correctly.

I checked your gear out. How would you feel if someone said "you play a T-bird?" HAHAHAHA, or made the comment "you play a t-bird, you like playin with mud?"

You dig man? It's all about perspective and realizing what's right for you may not be right for me, yet what's right for me-might not be right for you, Joe Schmuck, etc.

I understood parts of this
    LOLROFLOMGLOLLMFAOTF!!! so if i missed something such as a YMMV or other combo that indicates in your experience-Squiers have been less than satisfactory-my sincerest apologies for the rant, if not-welcome to TB, normally i'm not this much of a prick.

that's all

note: i'm posting a 3:24AM my time-i've already made one trip outside around the house to investigate a sound [i think it was the house settling/creakin] and am not in the best of moods so my comments may be a bit more harsh than normal.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Grudgenog, I'll give this a shot. Without knowing your price range, here are a few:

If you can spend $200-$300, a Squier "Standard" Precision Special or Jazz Bass would probably do a good job for you. If you can, get a more experienced bass player to go to the store with you and help you pick a good one. I have a hard time recommending the Affinity series due to the cheap hardware they have.

For a little more, i.e. $400-700, you can get Fender Standard P's and J's, various "Deluxe" Fenders, and a bewildering variety of other stuff. The G&L "Tribute" L2000 bass at just over $500 is one of the standouts in this range. You can also get a USA-made Fender Highway 1 P or J for just under $700.

As you go higher in price, there are a lot more capable instruments to choose from, including American Series Fenders (around $1000), Stingrays (about $1200 and up), and a whole lot of other stuff.

If you play fingerstyle and/or pickstyle, and you like the sound of Green Day, Sum 41, and Jimmy Eat world, along with a whole lot of other bands, it's hard to go wrong with a Fender Precision. If you're a slapper, a Jazz or Stingray (or SUB, which I forgot to mention) or G&L would work pretty well, and they're great fingerstyle basses as well.

8. 4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Sad when a beginner asks a question and gets slammed or humiliated for asking about the least expensive way to explore music with his/her first bass. :eyebrow:

I got out of playing a bass for about 12 years and then when I "thought" I might like to get back in, I went to a couple of different Guitar Centers and went through nearly every Squire P Bass they had. There are differences in many of them. I found one that played decently, felt good and sounded acceptable for the purpose. $149 and it was mine.

I took it home, carefully performed a P style setup (based on docs from the Fender website and what do ya know? The darn thing played and sounded pretty darn good!

Cheap bass? You bet. But when considering that I was "testing the waters" to see if I *REALLY* wanted to get back into playing, it was perfect!

Personally I would recommend the same "path" to any beginner wanting to check out playing a bass. And Flatwound gave EXCELLENT advice - Take and experienced bass player (who hopefully isn't real opinionated) and have him/her check out the axe to make sure everything is cool. Also, plan to lear to do a "setup" on it when you get it home. Take the time to read the "how to" and do it right. It is worth it!

Cheap bass (SX, Squire etc)
    PROPER setup on the bass (because they aren't from the store)
    Decent tuner (Korg or Boss chromatic)
    Bargain amp (I would encourage them to get at least a 12" with 30w - 50w combo to start)

Should be able to get into this for about $300 (maybe even less if you shop diligently).

To continue the story... I played the Squire P bass in the church band for a few months and then traded it back in at GC on some other equipment and got my $149 back! (note it was in PERFECT condition and setup right and they knew it)

I went to Mars (no longer in business) and bought an Alvarez A5EBC 5er ($499) that I fell in LOVE with. 5 years later, I'm still hammering away on the Alvarez. I regret trading the Squire in. And I'm looking to pick up a Peavey Grind 5er and have a Cirrus 5er built (custom shop). So goes the progression of GAS. :help:
  9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    What is so funny about a Squier? I played my Affinity P-bass for 2 1/2 years, and it's lasted me fine.

BAck to the question, I agree on bringing an experienced bassist with you. But what s/he likes, and what you like might be completely different. Try a few of these:

1) Put a strap on it, and stand up. let the bass go. if the headstock starts tilting towards the floor, it's a bad idea. This means the headstock is too heavy, and will mean you won't get the full potential of playing, because you'll use too many muscles to keep the neck at a good level.

2) Hold the neck like you would play. Is it too thin? too thick? After playing 6-8 months, you MIGHT not be totally aware of what you want. it just takes a bit of searching.

3) Plug it in. but plug it into an amp that is the same as yours, or even bring yours if it's portable. Then plug it in, and play every fret. Just the open E, then F, then F# etc etc. On every string. Listen for buzzing. Buzzing= Bad

4) The bass can always be adjusted to what you like. Lower Action, Neck relief etc...

5) Make sure YOU like it. that's the biggest factor. If the person who brings you love it, but you don't. Keep looking.

As some people might say, Squier is a hit and miss bass. Some people on this site, put down their Fodera Basses, to play some Squiers.

Again man, it all boils down to what you like. Have fun, and keep shakin' the floors brother!

Mark Wilson
  10. CTNYC

Aug 4, 2005
    was wondering any strong opinions on this bass...

Thanks!! :bassist: