New bass--->HAPPINESS<---New bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowhighq, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Lowhighq

Mar 7, 2001
    i just bought a used bass. a fender american deluxe fretless jazz. it plays like a dream. probably the best neck i've ever played, and after probably 5 hours of playing, and just looking at it, i've yet to notice anything that would show that it's been used. for $800...and i got a free case and new strings. i think that's a pretty good deal. a few comments:

the neck is incredibly fast, and thinner than i'd expect. which is good.

the sunburst finish and the marbled pickguard...beautiful

you can get so many sounds out of this instrument. i didn't think i'd be a big fan of active electronics until i really played around with this.

overall though, it's probably the best playing bass i've ever got my hands on. i've got the action really low, and that combined with the best neck ever and the "soft" feeling fingerboard makes this bass a dream. it's also surprisingly light, but perfectly balanced. i am most pleased.

anyone else own this bass? how's the battery life?

2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i dont have that bass, but with most active electronics you dont want to leave your bass plugged in when your not using it. itll drain your battery very fast. they usually last a long time.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass and congratulations on your new acquisition!:)

I've never played that particular model, but like old_skool said, make sure you unplug the cable from the bass when you are not using it.

On most active basses, the on/off switch is the jack, and it will drain your battery if you leave the bass plugged in.
  4. In my opinion (disclaimer: people all have their own opinions.. many of which may disagree with my own.. that's a good thing! :D), the MIA Deluxe Jazz 4 is perhaps the best bass that Fender makes today. I also really like the American 75 Reissue Jazz.
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    If your gigs involve many pauses, you may consider rewiring, puting in an on/off switch. Pretty easy work.
  6. I'm not too sure about that, I mean of course it works....but puting your signal through any extra transistors or anything else for any purpose will alter the sound. So by puting a switch, if not done properly, will change your bass sound...from subtle to very noticable. But it all depends on you of course:)