Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass head to improve tone??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Oct 19, 2005.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Hi all, My current rig consists of a Behringer BX3000T head with Avatar B210 and B115H cabs. I can get a good tone out of it and my bandmates think it sounds great.

At a recent rehearsal I played through the keyboardists Roland K500 Keyboard amp. The tone was deep, clear and crisp. A tone I really LIKE that I cannot duplicate with my rig.

My question is, if I upgrade the bass amp to a "name brand" quality head will my tone upgrade also? I like the Avatar cabs I use, tough are they also a major part of the equation?

My thinking is a upgrade to an SWR, Carvin mono block or GK could take my tone to another level, though without playing them first with my cabs and bass it is hard to speculate...

Any advice, comments or blog is welcomed. :confused: :bassist:

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Here is my subjective answer, take it as you will: Yes.

Keyboard amps are designed to be clean and handle a large frequency range. Your Behringer is an Ashdown clone. I believe the Ashdown is designed to mimic a tube amp and really colours the tone. I like the Ashdown sould but I would not call it deep, clear, crisp.

If you want deep, clear, crisp, you need a different head. The GK might do it for you. The iAMP would (it is also a keyboard amp) but is a bit pricey.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    +1 on checking out the GK.

4. iam looking at the gk for just the same reasones although I like the sound of a tube pre, from what have had experience trying at GC they have to an extent a "warm" tone, well compared to swr IMO and do you guys think its worth the extra cash for a 1001 as compared to the 700 both would be the II versions

5. Why not get the same amp as your keyboard player ? :p

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd buy the GK over the Carvin or the SWR.

7. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    The Behringer colors the tone. Yes I am looking for a clearer sound and appreciate all the reply's. I will be heeding the advice and checking out the G-K heads. THANKS! :)