New Bass Help. fender? MM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shaz, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Ok, so i plan on getting a new bass. Right now i am using the ibanez starter bass, which is my first bass and i really hate it. I have played fender basses and love them, but i have also heard a lot of good stuff about music man basses. i play almost all types of music on my bass specifically jazz, classic rock, and some punk

Basses that i am currently thinking of getting are fender MIA jazz, MM sterling, MM stingray, MM bongo (i dont care what it looks like)

if you guys could recomend one of these basses or suggest a good one in the general price range that would be great

also is it better to get a used or new bass?

thanks for your help
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would get a Musicman Stingray, just my personal favorite. I was set on buying one for a while but then found a bass i liked equally for less (my godin SD) so i bought that. Used or new is up to you. I usually buy used to save money because i dont care about the cosmetics of a bass.
  3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Seems to be your very first post here, so welcome Shaz !

Well, I believe the best thing you have to do is go out and try as many basses as you can, and that meet your criteria. I do believe in love at first sight when one's out for an instrument.

I owned almost all the basses you listed, but my next choice is an MIA Jazz Bass, 4-string, passive.

Music Man are great too, there's one (StingRay 5) recorded in the track you can hear on my website :

Hope this helps,
  4. Thanks for the welcome this site is great.
    The stingray 5 in that recording sounds awesome but i am not sure i wanna get into the 5 string thing yet.
  5. You must be a fan of the old school tone :) . I have a stingray, and would recommend it. I prefer it to the other basses you mentioned. I got mine used for 1350 canadian, and its the nicest looking ray I have ever laid eyes on, I really lucked out. But of course go out and try anything and everything.
  6. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Sure, but the electronics on the StingRay 5 is similar to that of the Sterling.
  7. ok, this will sound like a dumb question to a lot of you out there, but what is the difference between a sterling and a 'ray?
  8. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Some StingRay (4ers) have a 2-band EQ, some have a 3-band.

The Sterling and the StingRay 5 always have a 3-band EQ + a 3-way switch for pickup modes : both coils (series mode), single coil, both coils (parallel mode).

That is basically the difference on the electronics side.
  9. Sterling has a thinner, jazz-like neck
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Slightly different body profile as well.
  11. is one "higher" than the other? I guess I mean, more upscale?
  12. DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    i'd recomend the stingray, i wish i had one my self but i know some people with one, and they dont know what the would do without one
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not really.
  14. I will most likely get a Stingray i played my friends today and loved it. This may seem like a stupid question to a lot of you but what is the difference between the different types of neck woods?
  15. I assume by neck woods, you mean fingerboard woods. Rosewood is darker and has a darker, more mid-rangey and warmer tone. Maple is lighter and has a snappier, brighter tone with a clearer low-end. There are others as well, but these 2 are the most popular and I believe they are the ones used on Stingrays.
  16. Have you tried G+L 2000/2500 they were designed by leo after the Stingray and are capable of so many sounds its unreal, I strongly suggest you try one out. :D
  17. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Fingerboard wood. Rosewood is what we call "darker" while maple is what we call "lighter".

Other than that, and the fact that rosewood is easier to keep looking good, it's all voodoo. Choose what looks best to you.

Just IMHO, etc.
  18. Cairobill

Dec 15, 2003
    I have both a 3 band stingray and a fender MIA jazz.

They are very different basses in terms of feel. The jazz has a gorgeous, tight and focussed tone with lots of colour and a hugely playable neck. I play it much more at home and when recording. The Stingray, on the other hand, has a wide precision-like neck that isn't such a joy to play IMO but it really does the business in a live situation. Very big full sound that cuts...they're sort of flip sides of the coin as far as I can see.

I suggest play both in a music store then buy the one you prefer second hand.

Also, if you were full on into raging guitar band stuff, I would say get the Stingray. But since you're still experimenting in different genres including jazz, you might well get more mileage out of the jazz bass...make sure you buy a made in America one my experience Mexican Jazzes are pretty uninspiring to play (although I'm sure there are exceptions).

I've played the Sterling and Bongo...hmmm...Sterling is nice but you might as well get a jazz bass. Didnt like the feel of the bongo...neck felt like a bassball bat...the tones were very varied and sounded good though...looks insane...

19. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    think about this

The stingray is the MM's precision and the sterling is the jazz.
    but they have same pickup so the diference beetwen them are the electronics.

Also tink about the weight (sterling is lighter than any other mdels you mentioned) and neck profile.

I would recomend you to thik a lot about the bass tha you are going to buy because it will cost you some money and you will be dissapointed if a few days later you start thinking abuot the other basses that you dissmissed.

and as a final advice let your hands and ears be your best friends and not your eyes, so try out some more basses and enjoy them as well.

20. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Vene Nemesis is right : let your hands and ears make the choice.

Also, don't make that usual mistake : "I have $1,200 (or whatever) available, so I'll buy a $1,200 bass", because it often happens that one finds something so-called "low end" but that you have a huge affinity with.

Also, there's no universal truth. You'll hear everything and its opposite. Some guys will tell you that a Fender must be MIA, but many can witness they've played MIM that sounded and played much better than the MIA that was standing just beside.

I am currently on the way for an MIA Jazz Bass. But I can't say whether I'll actually pick one up or find an excellent MIM, or maybe Highway 1.

If you have $1,200 and spend only $600 in a bass you really love, 1/ don't let snobbery fool you, 2/ don't mind people who would try to bash you since you don't have a "genuine" MIA bass, 3/ you have saved $600, they may be useful for an amp, a cab, accessories, etc.

BTW, several dealers find the MM SUB more "friendly" than the Ray. Maybe you should try one too...