Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass help (yeah, I know, just bear with me)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pennydreadful, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Okay, I'm lookin for a bass under $600, preferrably around $400, that has a really retro vibe. Sparkles, pearl, etcetera.

Here's a few I'm considering right now:

Italia Mondial
    DiPinto Belvedere deluxe
    DiPinto Galaxie bass
    Wilson Bros. Ventures bass

If anybody's got any opinions about these basses, I'd appreciate the help. I know some of you will probably hate these basses, so please keep the 'That's one ugly toilet seat' comments to a minimum. :p I really just need input on construction, sound, feel, etc.

Also, if anybody's got suggestions for similarly styled basses in this price range, I'd be glad to hear em.

Thanks gang. :bassist:

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've played the DiPinto Belvedere deluxe and the
    DiPinto Galaxie on several occasions and found them to be very well made(no exaggeration)I thinks Chris DePinto and crew pays a lot of attention to detail and it's quality control,the Basses are light,balances well and if you're into fast necks you cant go wrong.each DePinto that I've played sounded much more expensive than what they are(and I have played my share of high end Basses).I did a recording with Bassist Jamaaladeen Tacuma(pic below.on the recording he used his Belvedere sig model based off of the deluxe)and his Bass sounded top notch and everyone who did see the Bass only had positive comments about it's look and most importantly it's sound.The DePinto Bass is a Bass that I would respectively recommend to any bassist(especially one with a limited budget).the other Basses you've listed I have seen but never played.if your were to do a blindfold test I'm sure most Bass players wouldn't be able to tell that the DePinto is under $600 new.

3. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Thanks for the input, Juaqo! Would you recommend either of the two DiPintos over the other? I've never trusted split coils (dunno why) so I'm kinda wondering how the Galaxie sounds.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This is just a wild guess, but I would bet that the Galaxie sounds a bit like a Fender Precision.

Me, I'm getting warm fuzzies from the Belvedere Deluxe, although being a former Mosrite guitar owner (hated the thin neck and sold it for over 10x what my parents paid for it in 1967), I dig the Mach IV as well. But man, that Belvedere Deluxe looks so cool!

5. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I would LOVE the Mach IV if it came in...not red. I'm just not a fan of red guitars.

Thing about the precision is, I've heard em, I've played em, and they sound okay to me. Not great, but okay. Despite that, every time I see a split coil, I think to myself 'if only...'

This would be a lot easier if I could play any of these basses, but nobody carries this kind of stuff around here.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Like I've said I've played both and I didn't get a PBass vibe from neither one(the sound from both were more close to modern than retro,kind of semi hi fi),really the best thing to do is contact Chris(DePinto)and ask him about a dealer nearest you(guitar x in Colorodo is a DePinto dealer)or the possibility of dealing direct.

7. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Juaqo- the problem isn't buying one because there's plenty of places I can get them off the net. I just wish I could play BEFORE I buy, and I already know there's no place nearby that carries em...

So how would you describe the difference between the Belvedere and the Galaxie, sound-wise? I can get a basic idea just from knowing what pups are in em, but I wanna know as much as I can before buying.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
  9. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Believe me, I've been there. ;) I want an Eastwood Airline bass at some point, but a)I don't think I can quite swing $650 right now, as I'm on a fairly tight budget, and b)I've read that the sound is kind of flat and soulless, not bad just...bland. So then I'd have to drop around $100 or more and new pups, and I definitely can't do that right now.

ps: Mike Robinson, the owner of Eastwood Guitars, who also runs myrareguitars.com is a really nice guy, very helpful.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Wow, I'm happy to see Chris D. & Co. getting a little love on this board! I've had a DiPinto Belvedere Standard for a few years, which is functionally the same as the Deluxe. It is awesome, and through some rigs, on some tunes, sounds better IMO than my MIA Fenders. (All my bandmates have agreed on this, by the way.)

Jacquo is correct that DiPinto's construction and quality control are excellent. I live only a few miles from his shop, so I've tried several models -- both basses and guitars -- and they all seem very well made. The Mach IV guitars are great, as is my Belvedere. I once found some fret buzz on a Galaxie, but nothing that couldn't be cured with a good setup.

The playability is great too. My Belvedere has a narrow nut width like a Jazz, and plays great, even in the high register. I love the ebony fretboard. My only dislike is how it hangs on a strap; the short upper horn creates a longer reach out to first position than on my Fenders. That's the only reason I don't play it more for rehearsals, but it always comes out to gigs because it looks and sounds so awesome. It's not great for slapping either, but that's not exactly why you buy a bass like this.

The real story is the tone. With the semi-hollow body and very high output single coil pickups, it has a unique, powerful, clear, and resonant tone. Even through small amps, it hits so hard I can feel it in my chest. But it can be mellow, as it responds more than solid bodies to strings, hand position, and technique. I like the aggressive tone I get with GHS Boomers, but I've tried Ernie Ball flats for a more vintage vibe, and it sounded great that way too. It won't get muddy like some vintage semi-hollow basses, unless you really want it to.

The bridge pickup is a little like a Jazz bridge, but perhaps a little fuller. Both pickups on sounds a little like a Jazz with both pickups maxed, but again, a little fuller with the semi-hollow resonance. The neck pickup soloed sounds a lot like a vintage P-bass, but again with that semi-hollow vibe, and single coil clarity. On that setting, it sounds gorgeous played up high on the fretboard, like a bass version of a Strat with the neck pickup soloed. It just sings. Palm mute with a pick, and you get that chunky P-bass tone. When played hard, it will growl. With the pickups soloed, single coil hum is minimal -- far less than on my Jazz when it had stock pickups.

I've found it records well, and works fine in the rock bands I've played with, which include "indie," punk, classic rock, and old-school Sabbath type metal.

Go for it!

11. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I have never visited this shop but I check the website every once in a while to look at the slick basses from the 60's and 70's. Plus you'll need a nice blue sparkle padded Kustom cab to go with your bass.

http://www.diamondstrings.com/

12. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Nedmundo- Thanks a lot! That's exactly the kind of thing I've been wanting to hear!

Dangnewt- Funny thing, that's another site I frequent. I actually want one of the white sparkle Kustom amps. :D