Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass, Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russ_4ft, Aug 13, 2000.

1. I'm looking to spend about £1000 on a new bass. I'd like a Modulus but i think they're too expensive unless i could grab a 2nd hand one. I might buy a music man Stingray. Any other idea of what i could buy. I'm after an MM type bass. Cheers.

2. BassIsBest

BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    Hey dude. There is nada wrong with buying a used bass. If you want a Modulus, then get a used one. Often they are even better than new ones, first because of their low price and second because they have been broken in nicely(hopefully nicely!) You wont be missing out on much.

3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    check out carvinbasses they make awesome stuff musicman stingray vintage is the way to go if ur buying music man and modulus is sweet have u checked out a warwick or a conklin bass? if not u should check them out before jumping on anything

4. Ok, I will do that.
    Under the influence of Flea too much.

Also, Where can i get a modulus from? I can never find them anywhere. Will i have to mail order?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You will be very lucky to see a used Modulus in England ( as £ are mentioned, I presume this is where we are talking about?).

I've only seen one or two in 20 years and then only new at huge prices. The Flea signature at about £2,000 and the Oteil signature at over £3,000. They are much rarer in the UK than the US. Don't try mail ordering one from the US either as the shipping, customs duty, VAT etc. will probably put the price up to more than it would cost in the UK anyway!

You can easily get a very good Musicman for under £1,000 - I think I posted details of ads in a previous thread. £700 is probably a good bargain for a used one - £600 or under - buy it straight away! The shops in London have a fair number of MMs. The Bass Centre advertise that they always have 30 in stock and you should be able to find several under £1,000. My advice would be to spend a day in London and try as many as you can in the shops, to find one that suits you best.

As to alternatives - the latest Guitarist (incorporating Bassist) magazine has a shoot-out between a Stingray and an equivalent Warwick Streamer. From reading the article I presumed the Warwick had won, becuase it seems to do better in almost every category, but in the end the Stingray just scrapes a win! But the only reason they give for this is the "pedigree" of the Stingray - made no sense to me!

6. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Influenced by Flea? Well in that case i wouldn't actually recommend the modulus flea bass (makes sense, huh?). I've tried it out many times, but I never get the cool MM kind of tone out of it that the earlier albums have on them although they're mostly recorded with Wal and alembic. The Modulus is really good, but if you ever wan't a slap sound like in Aeroplane, the Stingray (OR sterling!) is the way to go. Wal basses have those electric MM highs too, but they aren't really budget instruments either.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually, most of the tone he got was because of an Alembic. He recorded most albums (and still does, i believe) with an Alembic Epic. But, i HAVE been able to get MM tones out of a Flea Bass...quite easily. Its got a much better pickup than the MM...same style, but a Lane Poor. If you do want one, they got one at BassNW right now (5 string), and you could order that...if you really want one. Yes, Bruce said that its expensive, but if you want one, get it. I love them.

And personally, i can tell you that Modulus basses ARE great, because i own one. The only thing about them that is totally a love/hate thing is the neck feel/sound. Some people hate the feel, some love it, and some think its sounds sterile and bad, some just love the sound. I personally happen to love both. But make sure if you do order one, that you can send it back if you dont like it. good luck!

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Flea basses are like $2200.. MSRP.. on their website.. so some stores should have them cheaper than $2200 :)

DM

9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    yeah at mars music the flea basses are like 1200 and up

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    yeah so.. osama bin laden... look for Flea Basses on the web.. or some stores.. they shouldn't cost more than 1000 pounds..

DM

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've only seen one in the UK and as I said, that was over £2,000. You can't appreciate how rare Modulus basses are in the UK - you never see them second-hand and no shops stock more than one or two, which usually go very quickly.

Importing is out of the question as you will be charged huge amounts of customs duty and tax. The only way to avoid this is by smuggling - very risky and you can't buy via the internet.

MM Stingrays are much more common and you can easily try 20 or 30 in London - Alembics are more common, but the good ones are again very expensive. I've tried the lower end of their range - under £2,000 and they don't sound very good to me - no chance of sounding like Flea!

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No place will sell them for $2200! Usually it there is a 20-30% discount off MSRP, here in the states though, because dealers buy them for about $1100-$1200, id bet. Remove that discount for the UK!

Mazda, its different in the UK, because they have to ship that guitar from California (where Modulus is located) ALLL the way to jolly ol' England.

I want a bass...it doesnt really matter, because in England itll be way different. And that seems WAY low. Thats like dealer cost. Used, sure, new, no way.

But osama bin laden, if you are willing to scrap out the cash, its well worth it! Theyre great basses!

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    M-A, Bass NW was blowing out some Flea basses a year or so ago for under $1000.

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Youre kidding me!!! Motherf***ing piece a...SERIOUSLY?! The one they have now is like $1500! Its a five, but that shouldnt matter. Geeeeeez, if i had known....you SUUUURE they were new? I dont remember seeing them there ever...

Im going to go cry in the corner...forever.

[Edited by MegaAngus on 08-16-2000 at 02:10 AM]

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    hahahahah MegaAngus is a cry baby!!!! :D!!! jk jk :)

16. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I want a bass...it doesnt really matter, because in England itll be way different. And that seems WAY low. Thats like dealer cost. Used, sure, new, no way. ~mega

I called mars and asked one of the sales men he said 1200 he mayve said 14 but im pretty sure it was 12

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    DIE DIE DIE!

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Still cant believe itd be that low...

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Seriously. I saw them on the wall, brand new. I remember them being around $900. The Fleas weren't moving very well so apparently they were heavily discounted. Now the price is up. I saw one at MARS this week, along with a $2200 Genesis (which were selling for a little more than half of that about a year ago here on the Right Coast. They weren't moving either back then. The Genesis masks it's graphite neck with wood. I personally don't see the point, it didn't feel any woodier (is that a word?)than my Zon.

Remember...Right place... at the right time...with the right funds. My Zon was less than 1/2 of retail. Sweet.

20. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i just lucked into a G & L L2500. similiar to a stngry 5, but has an onboard active preamp, 2 mm pickups, through body stringing, hard case, semi locking bridge, and is usually $200-$400 cheaper (mine was $600 american, used (usually $1000 new)).

and i'm happier than a big ole' tick, suckin' on a dead bloated dog, on the side of a texas highway, in hunnerd degree weather.:D