New bass help!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThunderRanchSpc, Oct 25, 2002.

1. ThunderRanchSpc

ThunderRanchSpc Guest

Oct 25, 2002
    I just bought an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 bass. The top three strings all contact the first three frets. I'm figuring that the some adjustment is required to fix the problem, but I'm not sure if I need to adjust the neck, or the bridge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. You should take it back to where you bought it and have them do a setup on it. You payed enough for it, they could at least have it setup to where its playable.

Ask them if you can watch them do the setup, so you can do it yourself in the future.

It sounds like all it needs is either a truss rod adjustment or the saddles need to be raised.
  3. RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I agree with Mr... um Gwar. However if you bought it online or if you already have a local technician you know and love like a sister..., then I would take it to them to get it set up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the more time/work you give your tech on little jobs the more likely he will be to hook you up when it comes time to drop the big dollars. He/she will also be more inclined to give you a call if a good deal comes his way that he doesn't have the capital to take advantage of. And if you take your baby to Guitar Center to get it worked on, find a good tech there and always request he work on your gear. GC techs are very hit and miss.

Good luck and congrats on the nice bass!!!!
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

When the strings don't vibrate properly on either the first/lowest 3 frets or the top/highest 3 frets, or both, it typically means your neck doesn't have enough relief.

You probably need to loosen your truss rod, (left is looser, right is tighter, on about all single truss rod basses). Give it a quarter turn to the left to make it looser. You probably won't notice any difference right away. Wood takes time to react. Many of us give it 8 hours/wait overnight.

It may need more after you give it time to adjust, but it should make a difference.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well congreta on the new bass & I hope you have it playing no time soon. Like stated by ChaosGwar, it's a simple fix.
  6. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    check this out, it will help you understand the basics as to bass setup and should be able guide you through making your bass reasonably setup.. however, i would still find a good setup guy as you wont be able to get it perfect..

now once you get it setup propperly, the only thing you should have to do is tweak the truss rod from time to time to accomidate how your neck reacts to climate changes.. after it is setup good, you shouldn't have to tweak the saddles or the intonation UNLESS you switch between different brands or gauges of strings.

hope this helps a bit