Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bass. i need new strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i've been playing on a stingray for years. i use ernie ball thick guage strings. i love em. they feel soft and bendable. they sound great with the stingray too.

i'm buying a fender jazz. i'm going for a more "traditional" sound. can anyone recomend strings for my new jazz????

2. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    if you want a more traditional sound you can go with flats or nickel roundwound with a round core that will do the job.

im more into nickel rounwound because i get the best sound for every style i want to play, the ken smith strings are cool never let me down (on my jazzbass), and i got some labella on my fretless - they are super smooth.

i think the different strings match different basses so you just need to try strings and figure out what's best for you.

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    You can't go wrong with the Thomastik flats..

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    To get a roundwound cut with a good deep tone from the E and B I like DR Lowrider Mediums stainless steel. I have spent $150.00 on strings the last two weeks tried all kinds of stainless steel and nickel strings. It seems the Low riders the D,A,G string really bite because of the stainless steel but the E and B strings have a nice deep full tone because of the hex core construction. I like highbeams but they are not as rich sounding as low riders and it's easier for me to get more highs with EQ adjustments than good lows. Nickels like D'addarios or TI's are to subtle and smooth for me almost like flatwounds.
    That's just me.

5. I second that!

[​IMG]
    Treena