Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass! Ibanez Roastar II, pics 'n' clips inside.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tecx, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    1986 Pre Sound Gear Ibanez Roadstar II RB850, MIJ... Ibanez Low-Z direct active pups, passive tone and volume... Kinda sounds active, but it works with all my pedals - actualy better than my hotroded Roadstar P-Bass. I was going to put a bartolini preamp and pups in her, but the pups/electronics sound/work GREAT!.. The bridge is all worn, and it has cheap knobs so I am buying some new parts... Here she is...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Alex

ps. I included a "little" clip, if you would like to hear a better one... email me and I will send one to you...

2. Cool bass...Ibanez Roadsters, basses AND guitars DO have a nice sound. ... good growl.

The only thing I don't like about it is the painted neck. I just don't like painted necks. ... can be STICK-ICK-ICK--STICKY

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Congrats!

I told you the pups were great!

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    That is a great bass. I have two, one I have frankenstien'd to death and it is now fretless and has 2 J's. I wish they would have made those neck-thru.

5. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Yeah, me too. Painted necks are yucky. But it looks like a cool bass. Congrats :cool:

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Actualy I hate finished neck in general... All my other basses have or have had oil finshed necks... BUT.. This painted neck is slick and nice, not sticky at all!!! I was quite happy..!!

7. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Dude!!! You where soooo right!!! I am in love with them... I am just going to put a nice new gotoh bridge on it and a set of black metal flat top knobs... The electronics are staying as is!!!

Alex

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Neato.

9. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ok people... I have a decision to make...

black flat top metal knobs (to match the body/hardware)...

or

THG Custom rosewood knobs (to match the fingerboard)...

I really think the rosewood would look sharp against all the black..!

Alex

10. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Rosewood

11. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Hrrmmmm, I dunno... On a '80s Ibanez?.. I wonder if there is a law against it?.. :meh: All the work Roger at THG does is for $3000+ basses... I know its silly but it feels wrong... But I think it would look killer...

Alex

12. Noaita

Noaita

Jun 6, 2003
    Shameless booster guy.
    Rosewood! :D :D :D ;)

Roger
    THG

13. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Her man!.. Are you aware of anyone who has put your knobs on a non-boutique bass?.. I.E. an 80's Roadstar?.. Or something even more "low end"?.. I almost feel like they are to rich for the bass...

I love your work though man, when I finaly get my fretless Ibanez Musican, you will definetly have some work... They have an arseload of knobs and they are all ugly, and a few togle caps too.. Ohhhhh that would look sweet - but first - I NEED THE BASS...

cheers

Alex

ps. Do you in your "profesional", and not "I own THG" opinion would the rosewood look good on a bass that is all black?.. I think since the fretboard is rosewood, it will be a nice contrast.

pps. how much do pickup covers usualy cost?..

14. Noaita

Noaita

Jun 6, 2003
    Shameless booster guy.
    Hey, Alex,

Thanks for the compliments. I have done plenty of work for instruments that are not boutique instruments. It adds a personal touch to any instrument. In your case, I would certainly go with the Rosewood knobs. I, personally, think that matching the knobs to the fret board really ties the look of an instrument together. If you would like to test it out cheaply, you can get knobs from All-Parts for under $10, I think. They are of the garden variety and may not be the best color match to your instrument, but it is a cheaper way to test the look, so to speak. Even the Ebony knobs would look nice. They aren't as shiney as the metal knobs which sets them apart from the instrument for a nice contrasting look. Pup covers would run a BIT more;) If you want to email me, we can go over pricing.

I hope this helps.

Roger
    THG

15. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The bass I learned to play on (and played constantly until I built my own) was identical to that except for the finish which was a terrible metal flake green to cream burst! A couple of aspects of the basses I build now can be traced back to that Ibanez. 24 frets, 2-2 headstock, active electronics, blend pot... Good catch!

16. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Price isn't the issue, I think yours are very modestly priced... I was going to do a MAJOR frankinstine on it, I was even thinking about getting a fretless warmoth neck for it... I am leaning towards the rosewood man, and they will be purchaised from you - no worries. ;)

Some day I would love to have a custom with a maple board, pup covers, and knobs... With a black oil finish, ohhh I am drooling now as I type...

But first the RB850...

Alex

ps. e-mail sent...

17. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Alex,

Nice bass and those cases are usually real nice too! I wouldn't replace that bridge if I were you. On the black ones the paint was real bad about coming off so it may not look all that nice but that is the same bridge that's on my 83 Roadstar II and they are really an excellent bridge. My vote is for the rosewood knobs if you haven't made the choice yet.

I also really like your other Roadstar. Post pics in this thread so everyone can see that one too.

18. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I think I am going with the rosewood, as for the bridge... The Gotoh 206 seems to be almost a direct replacement... The balck is all worn off on one side, and looks really bad... If the bass showed its age I wouldn't mind, but it dosn't... We will see, my friend Paul who is a luthier is going to take a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done and done. '79 Roadstar II with Bartolini 8s pups, and a Badass Bridge...

cheers

Alex

19. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    that is such a SUPER looking bass. I think those were made with an Ash body too! I had one of the 30" scale models for a while but didn't like the shorter scale and the body was smaller. I'm looking to get my hands on one just like yours in the future. I may even have to change out the bridge to a badass also but I remember the "P" style bridge on the short scale was actually better than I had expected.

20. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thanks a ton man!.. She is beautiful, and yes its a swamp ash body with a 1 piece quarter sawn rock maple neck. Curently she is strung with Extra Super Light Pro Steels - and the tone is exquisite. Although I am having a hell of a time setting her up with the new strings, but its worth it...