1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass, Ibanez SR1200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gaetano Paul, May 13, 2010.

1. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    This thing is nice! Anyone know anything about these basses? Can I switch the pups out for any other passive pup? Or are they active? I doubt it but would like an expert opinion? Anyone have any suggestions for new pups? I really like this eq, very quite, not the strongest mid sweep around, but it will get the job done for me. The bass control is really nice sounding, I cant tell if I like the treble control or not because this bass has a really great modern tone as is and the treble control is not super powerful, (from what I can tell).

This thing plays like butter and I got a killer deal on it, $375 with the original, beat up old Ibanez hard case! This will be my main bass so I am willing to do some mod/upgrades etc.

Any input!

2. CC088

CC088

Mar 12, 2010
    North Carolina
    No pics, No bass ;)

:bassist:

3. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Not the greatest pics but I want to slap em up!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    It did not show up good, but it is one of those green/ or blueish ones with the afr pups on it. Made in Korea. Serial # C411695. Can anyone help identify the year and material etc from that serial #?

5. CC088

CC088

Mar 12, 2010
    North Carolina
    very cool bass! I think those are active with the AFR pickups --and they are neck-through construction? I've never played one, but heard they are pretty sweet. Maybe you should stick with it "as is" for a while to see how it works for you.

6. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    so the pups themselves are active?

7. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    BODY MAPLE w/
    FIGURED MAPLE TOP
    NECK 5Pc MAPLE /WALNUT
    SR4 THRU
    SCALE
    FRETBOARD ROSEWOOD
    INLAY ABALONE OVAL
    BRIDGE
    TAILPIECE / NUT DIE CAST 4 STRING
    HARDWARE GOLD
    PICKUP CONFIG P-J
    PICKUP'S IBZ AFR-P
    IBZ AFR-J
    CONTROL VARIMID 3 BAND EQ
    FINISHES NT (NATURAL)
    TT (TRANS TURQUOISE)

Lots of good info here

http://www.ibanezregister.com/

Go to the old gallery and to basses, scroll down and you can find most Ibanez basses. I'm not sure about the pups but I think they are passive.

OOD likes this.
  8. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    nice thanks DUDE!
    It is actually the one at the very bottom with the dots not the ovals, the 1994.

Still not 100% if the pups are active or just the preamp.

9. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    the one with the adx pups.

10. If you want to know more about the electronics, ibanez has wiring diagrams under customer support on their website.

11. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah I have the diagram, the pups do connect to the battery. SO I am assuming that makes them active?

12. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Great Bass. I had the identical one and I very much regret having to get rid of it. Bought it new in I think '95. Also had the matching 5 string which someone made off with when it was in the care of friends. Never saw or heard of it again & was out a grand. :mad:

I swapped out the p/u's and pre for EMG's and it was a tone monster.

IIRC it wasn't the top of the line Ibanez at the time but right next to it. Loved the slim neck & it played like a dream. Had to sell it when I stopped playing & needed to get my car fixed. Always wish I had it back.

Enjoy it!

13. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I always thought the A in AFR was for active. The AFR equipped SR800 I used to have had active pickups. I always though the pre was more of a weak point than the pickups.

$375 was a good deal. Those basses are sweet.

14. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    So is it truely active? ANyone know?

15. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    AFR = Active Full Range. They are definitely active.

16. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Mine is the 1994 first model, the only one with the ADX, not the AFR. Would this still apply? seeing as the wiring diagram is the same for every Sr1200 according to Ibanez wiring diagram. Do you know Danomite, and he I am right south of you in beatiful Sarasota.

17. i have an ibanez sr1300 with the afr pickups and vari-mid eq. the pickups are active and the preamp i believe is designed for low output pickups. mine sounded weak and i was thinking it was the pickups untill i changed the preamp to an aguilar obp-3 and couldnt be happier. i would do a pre-amp upgrade on it first, they are known to be the first weak spot in these basses

18. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    ADX pickups are active, just like the AFR's and the Lo-Z's that my Soundgears have. No, I don't know a Danomite in Sarasota.

19. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Cool, good to know. Are they any different from the AFR or lo-Z's? I messed up my grammar on that last post, I just meant to tell you that I am down here in Sarasota.
    LOL