Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW BASS: Ibanez SR800 or EDC700 ? NEED ADVICE!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Keeper, Oct 14, 2000.

1. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    Hey, I'm looking to buy a new bass and I really want to go with an IBanez. Right now I'm thinking either SR800 or EDC 700 (which are both right in my price range). Can anyone give me some advice or personal reviews of these? I would a appreciate it a lot!
    -The Keeper

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Ibanez SR800 is made of Basswood, with that name, you would say it is great for a Bass. But IMO it is not. It is lifeless and toneless. It plainly sucks.

Now.. The Luthite body of the EDC700 is great, great shape, great resonance, ok tone. Somewhat good pickups but poor neck. Many people complain about dead spots on the Ergodynes EDB and EDC basses.

I would suggest a EDC700 but if you can really play it before buying.

If you really want an Ibanez, I would suggest SR1016 and 1306. For massive tones, you can also dig the ATK300.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another bass to consider if you really want an Ibanez is the BTB. This bass is much better than the cheaper Soundgears or Ergodynes.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Save your money, the Sr800's arent worth what you have to pay for them, they lack in tone, poor construction in my opinion too. I dont favor the Ergodyne's much either, I played another one at Seminole Music just this saturday, The neck had a few dead spots on it, and the tone just wasnt there, it sounded a little better than the Sr series, which i think is due to the body being heavier, In my opinion Id buy something other than the 2. Maybe a less expensive Fender, but if you really want to go with Ibanez Try the ATK bass, its like a stingray, The BTB Ibanez played nice too, but it too me lacked in tone, and punch as the others did. But it doesnt matter what me or anyone else thinks, get what you like.

5. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    I'm suprised that people don't like the sr800, because I've always loved mine. Although I would like to replace the pickups/electronics (eventually), I like it better than some other basses that cost twice as much. Mabey it's just because I love the thin neck.

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Don't get any of them.. Those Ibanez are just plain garbage.. only good ibanez i've played was the "BTB" series. which costs over $1000, but if you get a BTB, why not get a better bass in that price range? :) If i were you, save your money up and get a Salas!! $919 for a custom :D! but I can't force you, so get what you want :) I would get the Salas. or get a used BTB series if you want an Ibanez :)

Good luck to you
    DM