Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass in Progress Thread - Single Cut 6 string for myself!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Kahuna, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey All,

Just starting a new thread for a bass in progress. After much deliberation, I've decided on the woods and specs for a singlecut 6 string for myself. Of course, it'll be my SC-1 Design with the following specs:

Neck:

- 5 Piece neck through. Center of Cobo Bolo, two maple stringers, then two pieces of Padauk
    - Ebony fingerboard, 34" scale
    - Thin strip of Maple between fingerboard and neck blank
    - Black Limba headstock (11 degree scarf joint) with Macassar Ebony overlay and thin strip of Maple bewteen headstock and overlay

Body:

- Black Limba (Korina) body wings and back
    - Highly Figured Walnut top
    - Thin piece of Maple between the Limba back and Walnut top

Hardware and Electronics:

- Hipshot ultralight tuners and "A" style bridge. Haven't decided yet on either gold or black hardware
    - Two Bartolini Pickups with two Aguilar OBP-1 pre-amps, wired for stereo outputs

Here are the pics of the wood that shipping today from Gallery Hardwoods (once again exceeding my expectations!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've had this walnut top for a while, and a different neck blank that I thought I was going to use it on, but decided instead to go this route.

I'll give the wood a while to acclimate to the climate here, then dig in with the tools and follow up often.

I've got two other basses in the works right now that I'll get out here soon as well.

:^)~

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    that walnut is sweet; wish I had some of that...

Did larry make the neck blank ?

I wish i could learn to do a scarf joint properly; the last time i tried the lenght of the cut was sooo long that I flubbed it. I don't know what i'm doing wrong...so i've been making fender style flat headstocks and while they are fine I prefer the tilt...

I like the body shape also...

3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Yes, I always have Larry at Gallery Hardwoods glue up the neck blanks for me. It saves me a ton of time, and as a one man shop saving me time saves me money and helps me keep my costs down. And, of course, Gallery always does a great job!

There is a really simple scarf joint jig for a table saw. I made one, and the plans are at:

http://pweb.jps.net/~kmatsu/htmlpages/scarfjig.html

I had to replace my 10" blade on my table saw with a 12" blade to get all the way through a 6 string (or more) neck blank, though.

Also, the body shape on the walnut isn't mine, it's a Nordstrand (Larry puts the outlines on there so you can see how the grain patterns might look on a body... I'll see if I can send him an outline of my design for future use...) My singlecut design is:

[​IMG]

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    no,no. I 've seen your site and i like your sc design...

I know what larry's neck blanks cost, don't you thinkg you could do it less expensively yourself ?

oh, and how did you get a 12" blade to fit on your 10"bandsaw.

5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Nice woods!!

will wait to see some progress pics :bassist:

Peace, JP

6. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    For what Gallery Hardwoods charges me to glue up and mill the neck blank to my specs is less than I'm willing to figure in for my labor time. It is not that much more to have them glue it up and mill it than it is for me to just order the wood for a laminated neck through and do it myself. I figure it would take me about an hour total to do it myself.

I was fortunate with my table saw (nice Craftsman one), in that it has enough clearance for the 12" blade. Of course, I had to make a new zero clearance blade guard insert thingy (the actual name of the darn thing excapes me now...). I only needed the blade to end up out of the table surface an extra 1/4" for 6 string neck blanks. It was close, but I got it to go without any metal shavings flying around.... just make sure you get one to fit the arbor on your saw. Some are 5/8" and some are 1" arbors.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i have a nice craftsman also but my 10" only gives me a 2.5" cutting depth max.

8. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    With the 10" blade, mine gives me almost but not quite 3 3/8", and I order my 6 string neck blanks at 3.5" wide.

9. That should be a great bass! Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Black Limba is becoming quite popular around here. See what you did, JP!! :p

-Bernie

10. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    yeah, I see :D

Peace, JP

11. Beautiful wood! I'm looking forward to seeing your work!

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Awesome wood and plans. I haven't even started cutting on my real wood yet [i've been doing it all in particle board/2X4s so i have a clue what i really need to do] and I've got plans/ideas for another one. Multi laminate neck hmmm...5 String Singlecut w/P J pickups. :) :hyper:

Looks great so far. I'll put this thread in the favorites and check it out every so often.

13. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    That walnut looks very nice, keep the updates coming.

Cliff

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Beautiful wood man! I really dig that Black Limba! I think you shouldn't put a top on it, just use the Limba.

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Nice. Have fun, she's going to be a beauty.
    can't wait to see the TB's Budding Luthiers exposition. Looks like you and Don and Timmy B and Hammy are doing some really nice work.
    Who'd I forget?

16. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    After allowing the wood to acclimate for about 2 weeks, I started taking tools to it to bring the bass to life. Here are a few additional pics of the wood blanks, and the scarf joint.

The macassar ebony headstock overlay and maple highlight to go between headstock and ebony overlay:

[​IMG]

The Pau Ferro fingerboard and maple underlayment:

[​IMG]

... and finally, the 11 degree scarf joint cut, glued and clamped.

[​IMG]

It is starting to take shape!

17. Kahuna,
    Look at the walnut top IN MY POSSESSION that I'm going to use for a single cut fretless 5 someday.....

Look familiar? Dude, do you HAVE this walnut yet? If you look at the 2 photos side-by-side, it's the SAME PIC!!

Again, I have this walnut HERE!

18. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Yes, I do have it in my possesion.

Here is a pic I took of it on my work bench along with the other wood parts pictured above.

[​IMG]

You can see if you compare the two pics that there are some slight differences between the two sets. The origianl pic, which I used originally was from Gallery Hardwoods, and is a pic of the set you have. I was using that picture because it had been wetted down to show the grain, and I already had the pic so why take another one as the two sets are almost identical?

Larry did tell me when I bought the walnut that they had been able to cut two sets of tops form the same log so there was another set out there that was almost identical.

19. So your bass and mine will be like identical twins, separated at birth!

WOW! it's so funny because I'm going to use a black korina body as well! Already have that too!

20. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Cool! As soon as I saw the pic of the walnut I ordered it right away. It is such beautiful wood, I can't wait to get this baby finished!