Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass is making tuner go wacky?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GraffixNyc, Jul 6, 2004.

1. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Not sure if this is the right play for this but here it goes.
    I have a spector korean ns 2000/5 and the tuner I have is a boss tu-2 tuner and the tuner works like a dream and has with any other bass I have used it with or guitar. I just got my higer end spector the NS5crfm and for some reason the tuner doesn't want to work with it. It gives me really wacky readings I tune a half step down so when I hit my F# (G string) the merter goes nuts and will give me all different notes. I tried the same bass with my guitarists tuner and the same problem happened. The only way I got around this is when tuning it I play the 12th fret then I get a right reading on the tuner. But what gives? What would cause the tuner to act like this with just this bass? I don't think anything is wrong with the electorinics in the bass because it sounds fine when I play it. Please advise

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Sounds like the tuner isn't tracking well. Could be an input level problem. I know that there are certain notes that don't track well on my octave pedal. If you have anymore headroom on the instrument use it. Other than that I would say I have no idea.

The TU-2 has a setting to change the tuning you want to use. Make sure this is set 1/2 step down or crazy stuff will happen. I assume you have this changed though.

3. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Could this have anything to do with the fact that it has a pre amp? I just don't understand why for my cheaper korean spector the tuner works fine but for the higher end eruo model it doesn't work well at all. I just don't get it even when there is no sound and the volume is turned down all the way the tuner displays an A for the a note and the meter is all the way to the right.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I find that my tuner works best when I turn my trebble and bass bost on my preamp down.

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    The TU-2 is a chromatic tuner so it should register an F#

6. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Yeah but why would the tuner's meter light up all the way to the right and display an A even when the volume is turned down all the way

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its probably registering 60hz.

Most electronics will pick up 60 cycle hum if its not properly shielded and grounded.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not familiar with the tuner but does it use a battery? I have a Korg tuner that uses a 9V battery and gets real screwy when the battery starts to go dead. Change the battery and try again.

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i would suggest changing the strings. i put some DR taper wounds on my bass they caused a lot of overtones in the notes when played. needless to say, i had a lot of problems with tuning and intonating.

10. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    It uses a batterey but I use an AC adapter. It's just strange that it happens on this 1 bass onyl any other guitar or bass I don't have this problem. I even tried with my friends boss tuner and the same problem. But if something were wrong with the bass wouldn't I hear it? It sounds fine when I play it. Think maybe I have to change the two 9 volts that were in my bass when it came? I just got the bass brand new so if there are problems with it I can send it back but like I said it sounds fine so I'm left hear scratching my head. I don't know if it has anything to do with the aguilar obp-1 preamp that this euro spector has or what. Maybe I will just call spector and see what they say :(

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Like I said above, turn down the trebble and bass controls and try tunning.

Thats the same problem I have with my bass that also has an OPB-1

12. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    I do have them turned down all the way and still :(

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Do you have a problem when your bass is plugged into your amp? Check your cable. It seems your tuner is not getting clean sound waves or the sound wave may be too loud and distorted for it to determine what tone it's receiving. Change the batteries in your bass as well. Could be a pre-amp problem.

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Some tuners have trouble picking out the note if there is a LOT of harmonic content in the signal. If your new bass has a really brilliant "piano string" sound, that can be the problem. So turn down the treble.

Also consider tuning to the 12th fret harmonic as some tuners seem to be to handle that pitch better.