New bass keeps eating batterys

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Supernova67, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. Supernova67


    Jun 21, 2005
    Ok, so i got a new bass around christmas, a schecter stiletto studio 4, and since then i've had to change the batterys three times . i'm thinking it's a wiring problem because i know i shouldnt be going through batterys this fast. I've opened up the controll cavity and everything looks solid so i really dont know what's wrong. Any ideas? thanks.

  2. teej


    Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Do you leaving your bass plugged in all the time? If so, that could be the problem. Most preamps come on when you plug in, so if you stay plugged in, the pre stays on, and your batteries die really quickly.
  3. DavePlaysBass


    Mar 31, 2004
    Are you leaving a chord plugged into the bass when you are not playing it? The battery is engaged whenever you put a chord in the bass.

    The other thing to verify is that you have true stero 1/4" jack and that it works properly. The 9V battery should not be switched into the circuit until the chord 1/4" plug pushes two of the stereo lines together.

  4. amistybleu


    Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    I have a Studio 4 and don't have this problem, I agree with the above post and don't leave my bass plugged in when not in use, and it doesn't matter if the amp is on or not if the
    1/4" is in it is draining your batteries.
  5. It could be wired solidly, but incorrectly. I had an expensive luthier made bass that was wired WELL but WRONG. It was always on, and did not switch off when the jack was removed like it should.
  6. Supernova67


    Jun 21, 2005
    I unplug it when i'm not playing, but i do play like 3-4 hours a day, just about every day i can. I'll try to get a pic up of the wiring as quick as i can but i wont have my digi camera back till late tomorrow. anyone got a wiring diagram so i can se how it should be if it is wired incorrectly? thanks again.
  7. 62bass


    Apr 3, 2005
    It could also be that your output jack on the bass is faulty and when you remove your cord the contact that's supposed to disconnect the battery doesn't open properly. You'd have to take a real close look at it with the cord plugged in and then not plugged in to check. It may be you'll have to replace the jack. But it's possible itt was wired incorrectly by the factory too.
  8. +1
  9. luknfur


    Jan 14, 2004

    Take a meter and stick it to your jack and check DC voltage. If it's bleeding the battery, which it apparently is, it should show.

    If so, the nuetral and ground wires may have been crossed during installation. Just swap them and recheck.

    Also, I picked up a jack somewhere that has a tang on the jack tip that actually grounds the tip when the plug is removed. I have no clue what purpose that could serve, but it would drain a preamp.