New Bass Kit Day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bal704, Mar 17, 2010.

1. I like to put together bass kits from time to time, and I just finished this one. It's a Carvin kit with dual HB's. Decided to add the pickguard to give it a Stingray look. Had to hog out the pickguard a bit, and the knobs aren't quite right, but I wanted a pickguard on this one.

Attached Files:

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Nice!

3. thanks

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    How do you rate the qaulity of the parts, plus body and neck compared to other kits youve done?

5. Carvin kits are the best. The new bridges are hipshot style, much heavier than than the old ones. The parts fit together like they were cut by machine, because they were. Very easy build.

6. BigWalnut

BigWalnut

Aug 30, 2009
    Cincinnati
    Can I ask when you ordered your kit? A kit was ordered for me as a birthday present on Jan 12th and I still have not seen it yet. Is Carvin having large delays? Website said 1-4 weeks to get a kit. The person that ordered it is talking with Carvin, I was just wondering what other's experiences have been.

Thanks,
    BigWalnut

7. Ordered Feb 5, received March 8.

8. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Sweet bass, great job.....

9. Nice finish. Looks great. How did you find a pickguard for it?

10. It's a SUB pickguard. It's a pretty good fit with the lower HB. Since the neck shapes are different, I had to hog out a little plastic where the neck meets the PG. Plus, I had to cut a hole for the neck HB.

11. You did really good retro fitting that pick guard. Was it a blank you routed? Is that just a tung oiled finish?

Great job.

**Nevermind about the PG question, you just answered it.

12. 1 layer of tung oil on the body, followed by 2 layers of Minwax Red Chestnut. Finished with one layer of Poly. The neck I used tru-oil and wax (ala musicman).

13. Nobody

Nobody Inactive

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    That looks really really good. Great job on the pickguard.

OOD likes this.
  14. Getaway Driver

Getaway Driver

May 31, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    My carvin kit went together pretty nice but it's got some nasty fretbuzz. I think I have to shim the neck.

15. It's pretty much guaranteed you'll have to do a setup on any kit guitar, even a Carvin. Still, as far as kits go, about as good as they get for ease of assembly.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021