Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass magazine

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tappel, Aug 1, 2003.

1. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Just heard about it, but it seems kinda costly for a bi-monthly (at least for US subscribers). Anyone read it yet?

www.bassguitarmagazine.com

Tom

2. Funny you should mention this; I accidentally picked up the premier issue last week thinking it was Bass Player!

I get on the train, take it out of my bag, and notice that it says, "Summer 2003," on it. Then, I see it says Bass Guitar instead of Bass Player.

Sneaky bunch of rodents that publish it.

It's not bad; their gear reviews are better than BP, IMHO.
    In this issue, they reviewed the Ibanez RKB and the SRX 400. Also, the MIM Jazz re-issue and the Aerodyne. Their reviewers write in a much plainer style than some of the reviews in BP.

Robert Trujillo's on the cover, and he looks like someone owes him $50, and just told him they ain't payin' him back. :eek:

I was dupped, but, I think it's only going to come out four times a year.

I got the first issue. You should too.

May be worth something later on. ;)

Good weekend to all.

Mike

3. Whoa there! I just clicked on the link (should have done it first) and this is not the magazine I bought! :confused:

Strange.

Mike

4. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    ... and I should have been more specific regarding the name of the publication. It's Bass Guitar Magazine and I believe it's published by the guys who do Guitar World.

Tom

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I picked up the first issue of the new mag Mike was talking about first (with Robert T. on the cover) and I found it more interesting than this mo's BP - I haven't seen the new one tappel was talking about...

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I thought the Fieldy column was a bit wierd, but it's a cool mag.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It's two different magazines you guys are talking about......one is put out by GuitarWorld that caters to heavy players, and the other one is published in England. The English one is real good......I subscribe to that one....they know who Steve Lawson is:bassist: Steve even did a artical on Micheal Manring in one issue.

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Ditto.

I picked it up at a Borders when the forth issue (Entwistle cover) came out and promptly subscribed and had them send me the 3 back issues (even though #3 was shown as "sold out" already).

Guitar World really screwed up by naming their Bass "rag" the same thing, especially sinse the original one from England appears on US shelves (I'll still buy it though. I buy em' all.:rolleyes: ).

Why they didn't call it "Bass World" to avoid confusion is beyond me. :confused: :rolleyes:

9. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I just picked up the issue with Steve Harris on the cover at Borders and I think it's a great Mag.
    Jonathan Noyce is one of my favorite players and he's got a colum in the mag.

Jerry how did yopu pay for the Sub? Check Money order or Card if you don't mind me asking.

10. I just picked up the copy with Jack Bruce on the front...very good magazine. Has some interesting reviews and articles. A very sweet Yamaha BB2004 in there.

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Don't know about Jerry,
    But inside the mag there is a web site address where you put in all the pertinant info. I used my debit/credit card (Bank Visa) and it was all very easy.

PS. That Steve Harris issue is 2 issues old now. The Jack Bruce issue is current and should be replaced by the new one within about 2-3 weeks.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I paid by credit card and I'm real happy with that magazine.....it makes it out here before my BassPlayer mags do:confused:

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I picked up the Bass Guitar mag(Trujillo cover)...mainly 'cause Oteil is in it(a couple grooves are notated).

John Paul Jones also has a column.

We'll see.

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Your link is for the one out of England.
    You're talking about the Guitar World one.

They're both called Bass Guitar magazine (even though the one from England had it first). :rolleyes:

15. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    So I see.:meh: Sorry for any confusion (other than mine, of course).

Tom