1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass maybe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by woodyTUH, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Hey,
    Hoping you guys could give me some suggestions for a new bass to get (probs into the new year though..)

I'm considering something with a PJ style.

Quite like the sound of the P but i also like the jazz style (not to mention i cant get hand to sit confortable that high on the body - the pickup etc - my hand rests near the bridge)

I currently play a MM stingray, through a SVT 4 pro + SVT610.

I am majorly influenced by the likes of Tim C and Geddy Lee etc.

I also tried a lakland the other day (not sure of the the name...it had a 70s still "block fretboard"...with J pickups and was light as hell...wasnt the JO) and loved the neck...so thin necks would be cool.. - anyone know if there is a lakland available in PJ style (but jazz sorta neck)?

Or any other ideas? I play rock/metal/blues mostly.

Cheers for any help.

2. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
  3. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    I wouldn't think so, but I don't remember how much the rays weigh. Guess it depends on the wood and whether it's active. It's probably close.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    All the basses below are nice and under $1000(US)

Fender Deluxe Active P: P-bass body, Jazz nice (nice and thin) Main problem is its, well, active. If that doesn't bother you these are nice for the money.

Fender Aerodyne Jazz: Jazz body and neck, very light bass due to basswood body. Sound is kind of raw; very good for the music you are playing. Main problems are P pickup is noticeable louder than Jazz pickup, so the bass is loudest when the J pickup is off. Also, the binding looks good but it can dig into your forearm. Some people don't like that.

G&L SB-2 (USA & Tribute models): Very nice bass with good, loud pickups. Many consider this bass to be the ultimate production P/J bass. It does not have a tone knob though, just volume for each pickup. If you don't use the tone knob then you probably you have a problem with this. The USA model is over $1,000 but are widely available for less than that on the used market.

Yamaha BB414/614: The 414 is passive, the 614 is active. Seems like many prefer the 414 because the pre in the 614 is sub-par and most people who want a P/J prefer passive tone anyways. These are very nice and Fender-y, and very inexpensive as well. The single-blade J pickup is pretty balanced with the P pickup volume-wise, so it pretty versatile. The 2-3 I've played didn't have quite the oomph in the low end of a good P-bass, but were very close.

There are two others that I've never played so I can't comment on them, good or bad. The Schecter Model T and Peavey Zodiac. Oh, and Lakland Skyline does not offer a P/J model. You can get a USA Lakland P/J but that will set you back quite a bit. It sounds like the Lakland you played was a DJ model, my favorite Lakland. Good luck in your search.

5. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    +1 What I play, it is a great bass you cant go wrong with it.