New Bass! MPG Level 5 w/ lightwave

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pigpen02, Apr 3, 2003.

1. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    just gotta gush about my new bass, traded for it w/ tb'er lamarjonz. it's a matt pulcinella level 5, bubinga body/maple neck/rosewood board equipped w/ a lightwave optical pickup.

acoustically, the bass sounds huge. low notes resonate loudly and sustain for days, and the highs are crisp but smooth.

plugged in, its taken some creative eq'ing to get a sweet sound; the lows and low mids on this bass are really huge, and need a bit of cut to get an even tone. nonetheless, after playing around w/ it for a bit, the bass thru my big amp (swr 500 and 2x15) was massive, earth shaking, my guitar player hated it. its really warm and full fingerstyle; turnign up the piezo blend and adding a little treble for a slap tone and its really fat and full, the highs are super smooth.

it's heavy, heavier than my stingray five at least, but balances very well and hasn't hurt my back yet. the lvl 5 is a nice alternative to the brighter tones i've been using w/ my stingray and grendel.

i initially wasn't to keen on the fingerrest, purely from an aesthetic standpoint, but i'm really liking it now from a technique perspective: its so much easier and i think my playing is more consistent having a uniform surface to rest my thumb on, rather than shifting from pickup to pickup.

the low b on this bass is incredible, simply the tightest best sounding b string i've found on any bass yet, no #$%. i'm stunned, now i might actually use the b string as much as the others.

i emailed matt pulcinella before i got it; he says he wasn't too happy w/ it and won't make another. frankly, i can't find any flaws at all in the fit and finish, its a wonderfully constructed bass; its playability is top notch, the neck isn't rough on my small hands. the only tweaking is eq'ing it properly and adding a bit of compression when amplified and it sounds tasty. i'm pleased.
  2. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Looks very nice!
    Wonder why he didn't like it?
  4. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Congratulations! What a sweet axe!

I've got an MPG Level 6 on the way...

5. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Looks cool. I've been wanting to try out an MPG for awhile.
  6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

welcome to the fretted lightwave club!!!

7. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Pigpen, thanks for a great transaction! It was great to have that bass, and it is great to try out the stingray, as I have never owned one.

I think Matt didn't like the lightwave setup as a whole. At least that is what more than one person told me after calling up Matt. I really dig the way Level 5s play, very comfortable.

The low end is ridiculous! I had it in my gk 700rb once on the same settings as my R bass, and it scared teh hell out of me. And then, a few knobs later, awww yeah....
  8. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    yeah, matt told me it sounded like a 20 ft. p bass; it does take some tweaking, but i think i'm hooked, both on pulcinella basses and the lightwave. i might take a little road trip up to pa to check out a few more mpg's.

its too bad he won't build another, i'd like to get a fretless fiver w/ the lightwave pup.

thanks for the deal lamar, hope you dig the ray.
  9. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Thats a really sweet looking bass. I really dig the lightwave systems too.