1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New bass needed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grey9968, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Grey9968

Grey9968

May 16, 2007
    Hello folks, wonder if anyone can help me out a little? I looking to buy a new bass and totally love the sound of the std American jazz but it is a little out of my price range. Are the American special models, the classic 70s, roadworn 60s or jaguar any good as all are a bit less expensive? Or can anyone suggest a similar alternative? Actually love the look of the gretsch basses but it's hard to find any demos anywhere??? Any advice will be appreciated :) thanks

2. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Well, first off you could look for a used am standard and maybe that would be more cost efficient and get what you want. The American special and highway one series are fine basses but you need to listen to them because they have what fender calls greasebucket electronics so they sound a bit different. But if you like the sound theyre fine instruments. Standard MIM basses are the more affordable and except for differences in hardware you should not be able to hear much difference. If you trust using eBay you may find a really good deal on there. Happy hunting, and if you get your Am Standard you won't be disappointed.

3. Grey9968

Grey9968

May 16, 2007
    May look into MIM then. Have heard some bad reports though. Suppose it all about personal preference. Don't trust eBay too much tbh. Thanks

4. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    I know how you feel about eBay but there are many here on TB that have re assured me that eBay is a very safe purchase. And if you don't already know there's a classified section here on TB and you just might find a deal there.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Elderly instruments has a bunch of used reasonably priced MIA Fenders. A few really nice MIM's too.

6. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Check out a Brubaker Brute JJX while you're at it. you can hear them on youtube. Malcom Hall demos them. Awesome slap tones and fingerstyle tones. Just search for Malcolm Hall Brubaker Brute. It's worth a look/see.

7. Grey9968

Grey9968

May 16, 2007
    Cheers folks..... Been looking and now I got more choice than I imagined!! Just wish there was a shop near me that stocked more than just the odd few!

8. Grey9968

Grey9968

May 16, 2007
    Loving the look and sound of the brute! Findin it hard to find a uk stockist though? Any ideas? Thanks again

9. RSNG

RSNG

Sep 6, 2010
    I love my Fender Aerodyne Jazz. It's a very high quality bass for the money. The other guys on the forum that have these seem to feel the same way.