Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bass NERVEousness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ok. i'm blabberin again about my new bongo. need to know your thoughts about something...

when i bought it i was terribly excited. it was exactly the color I wanted, exactly the price, it felt good, everything was in great order...EXCEPT...

on the side of the fretboard on the first few frets - the finish seems slightly damaged. not really a big deal, but now that some of the excitement has worn off i'm beginning to obsess a bit about it. i'm going to include a pic or 2 if the files aren't too big. the pic makes it look worse than it actually is, but you'll get the idea - finish just seems a little flawed.

i just wrote a letter to ernie ball asking them if they'd extend the warranty on that particular problem, or if they'd advise. what would you do?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ..waits for pic..:eek:

EDIT: I dont think thats that bad at all. btw that bass looks like it has insanely low action.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Had a little trouble uploading. Guess I should note that it's not chipped. It looks chipped, but it's kinda like a slip-up on the finish. like it bubbled or something. looks like a fine grain sandpaper would fix it right up but I ain't touchin nuthin with no sandpaper on this baby.

4. My 4 string TBC has some extra finish slopped over on the end of the fretboard around the 20th fret. Hard to notice, can't feel when you play it.

I don't let it bother me. If it doesn't effect the playability, all should be fine.

5. z4knerd

z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    don't worry it adds to the character of ur bass :p

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I can't see it?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I had the same thing on my Pedulla. I obsessed over it for a few days, then forgot about it until now, when you mentioned yours. I refinished my 'board with tung oil (it's fretless), now it looks bitchen, if I recall correctly.

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I can't see it either... Maybe we just aren't very observant. ;)

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've seen that on a few basses I've owned, usually Spectors, that have a high gloss on the neck.

It'll probably be on/end up happening to any Bongo you buy.

BTW, Congrats on the new Bongo, :)

10. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Fuggedaboudit! :)

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I actually have a similar issue on my Bongo, but it's at the end of the neck nearest the pickups. It's actually a tiny (maybe twice the diameter of a thumbtack's metal pin) chip in the finish. This chip is on the side of the neck where the fretboard meets the neck wood.

Should I worry about it? I bought the Bongo secondhand so I don't have a warranty with EBMM (although my jack crapped out and service sent me a replacement for free) so if there is something I could do to keep the chip from growing I'd rather fix it now before it's too late.

12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Oh yea. Congratulations on your new Bongo, Joe! I know you've been wanting one forever. :D

13. If what I think I see is what everyone else thinks they see...

it's the clearcoat over the rosewood as it comes to the edge of the fretboard and stops. Because rosewood is oily and can be a tough material to get coatings to stick to, the edge of the clear coat has lifted slightly, making a small "bubble" like area. You are actually seeing the air between the clear coat and the wood. I've seen it lots of times and on some very good instruments. The clear needs to be applied this way because to stop it at the edge where the blue ends would make it difficult to blend the edge in and you would feel the ridge.

Ultimately, the chip that makes this bubble will break off. It can be repaired by the judicious insertion of some thinned poly, flowed under the chip with a pin. This will fill the void, reattach it to the wood underneath, and make the area optically clear again. However, there is no guarantee that this would last any longer than the orginal did. After all, the repair needs to stick in the same place that it didn't stick before and the repair doesn't change the area under the clear - just adds some more to fill the void.

I'm sure it's not what you wanted to hear but it's also not the end of the world. What will likely happen as you play is that flake will come off as will others until the edge is nearly devoid of all clearcoat. Fortunately, the rosewood will shine up nicely and you won't miss the coating at all. I bet that if you have other basses with this type of treatment to the edges of the board that you will see this happening there too.

14. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Ah, the nervousness and anal retentive nature that comes out of us all with the acquisition of a new instrument. ;)

I can see nothing in the picture Joe. I wouldn't let it bother you. In a few weeks, after the newness has worn off, it probably won't bother you any longer either.

When I first got my Q5 I worried about these ever so small scratches in the clear coat near the volume knob. They could only be seen if you turned the bass a certain way in the light. It was an off the rack instrument so I attribute those "flaws" to the bass having been played countless times by folks in the store. It was the exact finish and pu/pre-amp configuration I was looking for so I bit the bullet and bought the bass. I'd never seen a Q5 in Atlanta before then and I wasn't going to miss my opportunity to have the exact model I had been dreaming about for years. It's been quite a while since I acquired by beloved Q5 and I no longer worry about said scratches.

Years ago I remarked to a friend of mine who was fretting over a similar kind of scratch in his then recently acquired les paul, "It's meant to be played, not looked at". Advice that has served me well through the years.

Congrats on yer new bongo Joe. I hope it provides you as many hours of enjoyment as my Q5 has provided me.

Happy New Year!

15. I know that feeling. I got a brand new bass a while back and it fell off the stand and it a music stand and stratched the neck slightly. I obsessed about it, but after a month or so I couldn't even find the stratch. In any case, one of my Fenders has a similar finish issue on the neck in the same place. I think after you play it for a while it will smooth it out.

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Bah! Suck it up. I don't know of any company that warranties finish on their instruments - besides, you're going to bash that thing to hell at gigs, so a small little blem like that won't matter soon.

17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I hope it won't happen to me. I've just sent the 50% advance for EB to build my new Bongo and the dealer told me that it will take like 4 or 5 months to get the job done. I don't know what I'm going to do if my instrument has a flaw, because sending it back is VERY expensive to me. Congrats on your new Bongo, Joe. Hopefully, by half the year we'll be both in the EBMM owners' club. :hyper: