New Bass, New Bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J17, Mar 3, 2001.

1. J17

Mar 3, 2001
    I just started the bass, It is so much fun. I've got a "Hamer" Bass, Washburn- Bad dog amp, and other stuff. If anybody has any tips or tricks,reply...thanks :p
  2. congratulations on becoming a bassist!! :)

and I hope you like your bass!

play away, and have fun! :)

Kjarri :p
  3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Welcome to TalkBass!!! :)
  4. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Run, run away for Talkbass, run for your life !
    ... well at least, run away for your bank account...
    You'll get serious GAS in here, and serious envy to play mo' bass.

Now, you've been warned, so welcome :)
  5. i'll drink to that, playing bass is one of the most fun things there is. except for drinking to playing bass. :D
  6. Im glad too see people admiting there newness(is that a word?)cause im kind new too!
  7. Welcome to TB!

if you don't know what GAS is yet, I'll be the first to tell you. Gear Acquisition Syndrome. You should watch out for this!
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    congratulations and welcome to talk bass, may your new bass bring you years of enjoyment.
  9. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Welcome, I am still a newbie to talkbass, but I like to consider myself a decent bassist having only played for 5 years.

But I would like to say welcome, and have fun, play a lot, and often. Learn to read music, learn your scales, and play along with your favorite albums (when the parts aren't too hard) that is how I got started.

Another thing, don't get a big head till people start to tell you you are good, only then can you get an ego.
  10. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Learn the music you like to listen to. Listen to a lot of different music. I've played off and on for 11 years. No music is not my primary buisness. Wish it was. maybe? Have discipline, practice everyday, if you can, always try to learn something new.
  11. welcome j17 the TB coucil is pleased that u have resisted the "G" side,, oooohh,, wrong forum

hey how ya doin,, i'm now new again, after being a member,, oh,, s**t,, i'm resisting paying $20 cos thats $20 less for the fiver,,

anyway, all i can say is, Get the technique right before the admire the speed, once both your hands know how to treat the bass, then and only then will your true power reveal it's self,, oh and for G's sake learn with your fingers, then get the pick out if need be !!,, what was it i read??,, oh yeah

"playing with a pick is like swimming with wellies on " ( rubber boots to the US guys)

good luck

12. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    J17: Welcome to bass and welcome to Talkbass -- I think you'll find a lot of useful stuff here.

I see you've already filled out your profile -- good going; it's how we get to know you.
  13. Welcome to the world of bass. And welcome to talkbass. It is a valuable source of info and encouragement for us newbies.

14. Whatever you do don't look at the beautiful basses pt.1 and 2.You'll be lusting with a growing vengeance.AAAAAAAAAArrrrrghhhh!!!!!!!!! Too late....