New Bass, new Bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Perplexer, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Perplexer

Sep 2, 2003
    I'm a converted jazz guitarist, having switched to eletric bass about 9 months ago. I've obssessed over getting an upright for years, since I've always hated jazz guitar, it was just the instrument I learned the music on, but the voice never suited me.

After looking the past 6 months here in western NC, I jumped on a bass in Atlanta that I'm very happy with for a first bass. It's a Dvorak, maybe 6 or 7 years old, fully carved, and in the month I've had it, I'm getting around on it pretty well considering no lessons... yet.

My untrained ears tell me it sounds great but as I browse the board, I realize how deep the idiosyncrocies of tone and tone production can go. The lack of volume hit me at first but I figure it's more lack of proper technique. All in all both tone and volume are coming along, as are callusses.

Looking on the board here, I haven't seen much positive on Dvorak basses, and I'm wondering exactly where it's reputation is.
  2. dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    Welcome to the Board.
    Re: Volume, this is after all an acoustic instrument. You will get louder as your hands get stronger. Also, it sounds louder to someone standing away from you. The sound really does project.
    Walt MI/US