Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bass: #of frets; lakland & Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Jan 3, 2006.

1. I currently play rock/roll with a Variax bass, and use a pick quite a bit. I am looking to get a new bass soon. So far - I am very interested in the Ibanez ASB140 (dbl cutaway) and the Lakland Hollowbody (Skyline series).

I know there is a HUGE difference in these 2 instruments, but for my current budget - the Ibanez is a very big contender.

Why doesn't the Lakland come with a 21 fret neck? It only makes sense to me that by adding only 1 more fret, you could hit the high E -- which I am sure VERY MANY people play in the key of E. My band sure does, and when I run up there - I don't want to get stuck on bending a D#. It only seems practical to add the fret, but not many people do... why not?

The Ibanez has 22 -- which I don't need, because 21 frets is my need. The high F might come in useful ever now & then... but, the high E..... duh?!!? Or, am I missing something.

Any thoughts comparing the two? I know they are miles apart, but being 1/3 of the cost gets the Ibanez mucho points in the shootout.

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    uhhhhh....

Tune your G string up a 1/2 step?

In all honesty I don't know why they did a 20 fret neck. Probably because the hollowbody isn't really suited to,

"wanky up-highy 'stuff'"
    -Mike Lent

The hollowbody is an awesome bass but it sounds like you'd be more suited to the Ibanez.

3. my impression when i played the ibanez artist bass is that it sucked hardcore, really really bad. but it could be just cause i dont like the tone, maybe it would fit to some people and some styles, but it definately didnt sound good to me, not to mention the thing is heavy as hell. i'd definately go for the lakland if you can afford it

4. For the time being, and gigging in bars/clubs... the Ibanez might be easier to deal with -- due to the cost being SOOO much lower...

but, I have been researching neck options.. and I could always get a nice replacement neck to go with the Lakland if I wanted to go that way.. granted, the neck would be as much as the Ibanez -- but, I am a believer of you get what you pay for. And with this route - I could get the 21st fret, which I want. And I could also get an Indian Rosewood neck -- which feels great. Maybe he Ibanez could hold me over until I could get enough money together to get the Lakland & a custom neck.

Any neck suggestions other than the obvious Warmoth?