1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass On Loan...Should I buy? Audio comparisons! Your opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theinada, Dec 20, 2011.

1. theinada

theinada

Dec 11, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    A local experienced player and a good friend is lending me one of his quality instruments for me to try before I buy. He is also offering me a very good price on the instrument and wants me to have a nicer instrument to play.

I've decided to do some A/B recordings of the basses in typical situations I would use them for. Here are three different tracks for consideration.

Super mega ultra points if you can guess what the basses in question might be. It could be fun. I'm not a great player but hey, it's a work in progress, right?

Please feel free to let me know which sound in which situation you think is better/more pleasing to you (IYO).

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Oh, this is a direct signal. No EQ, no compression, etc. I did have to bump the gain a bit on one of the basses to match volume more closely, to my ears. Something like 3db. Both instruments have passive electronics. This is all pickups full volume and tone wide open.

I will also be using both basses on some gigs in the next few weeks and will let you know how that goes.

-Adam

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. theinada

theinada

Dec 11, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    bump

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    These basses sound very much alike. To my ears the second one in A and C sounds more expensive. In C the second bass in the dense mix second track cuts through just a tiny bit better than the first bass. You could probably do the same thing for no money with a bump on the EQ however.

4. jmbjandfam

jmbjandfam Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Foxfire Village N.C.
    I prefer the tone of the second bass in each example. I have no idea what basses these are but the first bass in each sample reminds me more of a single pick up located closer to the bridge while the second bass is thicker and more solid which reminds me more of a double pick up bass with a neck pick up? Either way, 2nd bass in each would be my preference.

5. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    think I have to agree with everyone so far. The second bass sounds better. It sounds like a really nice flatwound Precision to me, but that could be very wrong!

I've gotta say, there was some pretty nice grooving in that second example... don't be so harsh on your own playing!

6. theinada

theinada

Dec 11, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thank you for the input everyone!

I did a little trickery and switched the order of the basses for the third example.

The two basses are a 2006 Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass and an Ibanez SRX2EX1 with the electronics ripped out and pickup directly wired to the jack.

I've been using the Fender for all my projects for almost 2 weeks now and I think I can definitely move forward with the purchase. I'm getting a great price from a good friend!

I'd have to say there's a substantial difference in a live room setting with the Fender. At high volume with my gear, the tone just sits pleasantly with the drums and under the guitars/keys.

Thanks,
    Adam

7. 123321

123321 Am Comfortably Dumb... Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Virginia
    I think the real is showing here... you seem to sound more comfortable on your Ibanez and more excited on the Fender- but in a good way! The Fender does sound better and, you ain't no slouch man!! Good work!!