Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass or amp?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 2BitBassPlayer, Aug 6, 2001.

1. I've been playing for about a year, my current set up is a '01 Squire Jazz through a Peavy Basic 50. In the next couple of months ill have some money coming my way. I don't know if i should look at different amp, up-grade my bass, or look at a new bass. If i look for a new amp ill probly look for a 200-400 watt head and a 2x10 cab or something. I like the feel of my bass, but the pick-ups arn't the best. I was thinking i could upgrade to active electronics. As for a new bass i would like to get a fretless or 5 string, standard MIM fender or Yahama BB searies.
    Right now im starting to jam with some friends, and i know a guitarist that wants to do some Hendrix covers. Im mostly into playing blues, hendrix ect.
    What do you think would be the best thing for me to do at this point, i'll have about $600 + the possible trade of my squire.

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Get a little better amp and slap some better pickups in the Squier.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    you can get mim fretless fenders dirt cheap if you look in the right places.

4. BassPlayer101

BassPlayer101

Jul 27, 2001
    Omaha,NE
    How much money? Well heres wut I would do?
    See how much you can get for your bass and amp then add that to what money you have. I would get a five string. I am like you and only been playing for a year. I just got a five string Fender Jazz Bass! Goes Great with my Fender 300w amp

5. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I'd upgrade the amp first, that way you can get a better sound out of the bass you have instead of getting a more expensive bass that would probably sound like crap out of the Peavey. It gives more variation to your playing and adds more possibilities for things you can do at the time (playing gigs, etc.) IMO. So I say go for the amp first. :)