Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass? Or fix old one...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeyZ, May 9, 2005.

1. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I own an Ibanez Roadstar series II bass guitar...but right now its pretty rough...The bridge is in bad condition and the pickups are really high in tone for some odd reason...shold I try to fix all of this or should i just get something better?

2. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    depends if you have enough money to get a good bass or not

3. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Sometimes fixing an old bass can be as expensive or more than getting a new one (or better yet, a "new to you" one). ;)

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    The cost of a bridge and pickups is far cheaper than having to replace your roadstar. Comparible build quality today would be at least USD 400 and up.

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Bring your bass into a shop or something and ask for a repair estimate. Once you have that, then weigh out whether it will be more costly for you to fix up the bass or snag a newer, nicer one.

Even $400-$500 can get you a good solid bass these days, like an MTD Kingston or something.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Are you emotionally attached to that bass? If yes, fix it, if not, see how much the repairs will cost then decide.