new bass or just pickups?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by apathy, Mar 29, 2001.

1. apathy

Dec 1, 2000
    I am a new bass player. I play in a band that does covers of creed, stp, pearl jam, ect. I have a washburn bass (about $200.00). the pickup for the d and g string stopped working last practice. I like the feel of the "cheap" bass, so should I get new pickups(if so what kind?) or should I step up to a better bass. Any help will be much appreciated!! Thanx, Apathy
  2. Could just be a wiring problem. The pickup may be fine, just not connected. You may want to have it looked at - probably a minor repair. I'm going to move this to Setup, maybe they can help you with how to fix it! :)
  3. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Is it possible for it to just stop picking up the D and G? Wouldn't the other poles, I believe thats the word I'm searching for, pick it up. If I am not mistaken pups are effected by the change in the electromagnetic flex so wouldn't the others be able to do that.
  4. dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    That's a good point. When I read the original post, I assumed a "P" style pickup, but they're wired together, i.e., it's actually one pickup. If the D/G coil got disconnected, so would the E/A side.
  5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'd explore the loose wire angle first, but in answer to your question, if you like the look and feel of the bass, it's always better to replace the pickup than the whole bass. Of course, if you have the money, you might just find a bass that you like even better.