Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass or mod the old one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gunnar Þór, Jul 5, 2002.

1. At the end of the summer I'm going get some new stuff. Now I have been thinking along the lines of getting a new bass but as I realized this morning I have two options:

• Mod the hell out of my P-Bass copy. This would include adding a bridge Jazz pup, maybe changing the P pup for a better pup, changing the neck to a J neck, maybe a new bridge and possibly refinishing it.

• Buy a new bass. This would be in the price range of $400 to $750 and right now I'm primarily looking at a Washburn RX2000 or XB120, a Hohner Phoenix or maybe a MIM Jazz. I'm not a big fan of Fender, so that's a big maybe. I don't think I can be bothered to go through international shipping so I'm limiting myself to what I can get here in Iceland.

What do the good folks here think, which would be the better way, and does anyone have a rough idea what modding the P would cost?

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Does your budget go as far as Korean Spector basses??? Does Iceland have any Spector basses???

I'm sure you'd be happier in the long run with a new bass. Modding will keep you happy with the current one for longer, true - but how long will that last???? Then you'll find most of the mods won't command any resale value, so the money kept you happy for a while then went away!!!!

Get a nice new shiny bass that will make you happy for a long time!

GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS;) :D

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Well,you have a whole lot of options there. I would definately say go with a new bass. How many strings do you want? If you are going for a 4 string,you have a whole lot of options available. Spector or a Peavey Cirrus 4 would be good choices also. -Luke

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Patrol E-bay and bassgear.com for deals. Cirrus basses are nice, but they are hi-fi. Better the Peavey Millenium for harder stuff. Much like a Lakland.

5. No, no dealership for Spector in Iceland as far as I know.

Oh, believe me, resale value isn't a problem. The lack of one, however, is. I'll never sell this bass because I'll never get anything for it. Someday I might give it to a newbie bassist but that's a long time from now.

Four string, defenatly. Six strings are in the future and I keep wanting a sixth string on a five stringer. Spector, as said before, has no dealership in Iceland and I think the same is true of Peavey.

Here's a list of the dealerships in Iceland, there may be a couple more though. The ones marked with * are not normally in stock and have to be ordered specifically.

Ibanez
    Godin
    Rickenbacker*
    Reverend
    Epiphone
    Hohner
    Gibson
    Yamaha
    Fender
    Washburn
    Warwick*
    Zon*

The market for used basses has more variety but there aren't alot of those being sold. Always some, but not more than maybe 10 a month. What are your opinions on this, get a used bass or a new one? The used one may be of higher quality but it can also be damaged to some degree.

I don't like buying things I've never seen and I don't have a credit card. So that option's out.

6. Do you mean it's either/or?

If you can keep your current bass and still get a new one, that's what I'd do. Then you can modify the old bass slowly over a longer period of time which will give you a long range project.

As to what it would cost, these would be my estimates:

1) Jazz pup - $50
    Routing the bass - anywhere from $0 to maybe $100 depending on who's going to do it, and how good they are at working with wood.

2) Changing P-bass pup - $50 - $100 depending on what's available in Iceland.

3) Changing the neck - $100 to $300 Again, depending on what's available in Iceland.

4) Refinishing - This all depends on who's going to do it. If a shop does it, I'd say $75 - $300 depending on what type of finish; solid color, sunburst?

So, the mods would realistically cost $275 at the low end to as much as $850 at the high end. Split the difference and you're talking about $500.

I think you'd be much happier with a new bass. Your mileage may vary. :)

Mike J.

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    With your price range, and that availability, get a Reverend Rumblefish! They rock and they can be had for 500 or a little more new. Used you can get them REALLY cheap and they're quality instruments.

8. I just saw you new post with the list of the basses that are easily available in Iceland, and I'd say an Ibanez BTB or a Yamaha. They're both pretty good for the money. Buying used is also an option, but, reading between the lines here, I still think you'd be much better off with a new bass.

Mike J.

9. don't mind me, just passing through... :rolleyes:

10. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Thats two votes, any more?

11. Duly noted, thanks for the cost estimates. :)

DHC and MontyP: I know about the Reverend and I think it's got one of the sweetest tones I've ever heard. But. They're pretty new here so the used market for them is non-existant and they're also going for around $850 here. But if I'll be able to afford it, that's what I'm getting.

So the general consensus is: New bass. All right. That way I'll be able to mod my old one anyway, and since I'll have a second bass I'll defret my old one. Cool beans. :)

12. Consider this another vote for Reverend. I love mine!

13. Another Reverend lover here...since I got mine in March, my beloved fretless MIJ Jazz Bass doesn't see much stage time. They have the biggest, fattest tone around! I got mine used for $360, shipped, off the H-C classifieds.