Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass or New Amp or Both?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Totengraber, Jul 23, 2004.

1. I currently have a Rogue 5-string bass and a Rougue 30W (I think) amplifier. When I play my bass through the amp, it sounds like I have some kind of distortion no matter what knobs I turn or what buttons I push. This happens even when I listen through headphones.

I had planned on getting a new bass and amp, but right now I can only afford one or the other. So, which should it be? Is the bass just so much crap that the pickups are bad and are sending a distorted signal to the amp? Or is the amp just so much crap that it can't handle the signal being sent to it?

I know both are cheap equipment and I fully intend on replacing both of them. I'm just trying to find out which I should do first.

2. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I don't KNOW but I think it might be just because your amp is only 30 watts. Why don't you take your bass and your amp to a local shop and do some comparisons? plug your bass into other amps and plug other basses into your amp. Find the combination that works for you and go with that.

3. I say to play the bass through another amp to check it out first. If it's not the bass, it's the amp. If either one is not working correctly, check out to see how much it would cost to get fixed too. Then evaluate your situation and find out what is most important right now.

are you in a band? If so, you'll probably need more power, so go with the amp. If you're not in a band and you're just doin' stuff at home, i would say new bass. Just my opinion though.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    <b>+1!</b>

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yep, verify that the bass is working by plugging in to another amp. If it is, then you know to spend your money on the amp first. I also highly recommend purchasing used gear. This allows you to move up the ladder as you save more and more money. Well-cared-for used gear will often sell for the amount you paid for it originally.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'm willing to bet that it's just too much signal for your amp to handle. 30 watts isn't much at all in the bass frequency arena, particularly if you're playing much on the low B or if you're trying to play with any volume at all. Most standard headphones clip pretty easily. It could be your bass, so it's worth experimenting with (i.e. try it with other amps), but either way, that 30 watt amp won't hold up to much. Unless the problem turns out to be a very serious flaw in the bass electronics (not likely, IMO), I'd replace the amp first.

7. I has to be the low powered amp. 30 Rogue watts is not very much. If you can afford it buy a better combo. If you have more money buy also a little better bass.