Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass or New Amp?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Poon, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Fellow Talkbassers:

I'm debating on whether or not to have my next expenditure in terms of bass products to be on

a.) A used Ernie Ball Stingray 5
    or
    b.) A David Eden "Metro" combo.

The thing is, that with the gigs I'm doing now, My 1x15" 200 watt Combo amp will due, but it doesn't exactly have the tone that I like coming out of it with the basses that I have. But, again it does sound good, just not great. Then there is the issues of already having 5 basses. So I don't really "need" another bass(being the SR-5) so what should I do?

Why buy another combo amp you may ask? I want to the availability of being to expand my rig, cause I may buy a D410-XLT with the Metro as well. So I can get a 6x10 rig for loud gigs and just a 2x10 for everything else.

Please help me out. I'd appreciate any of your insight or help, and please feel free to ask me any follow up questions.

2. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    how i see it> a good amp will make just about any bass sound good,a lousy amp can make a good bass sound lousy.a good amp can work wonders with a lower end bass/guitar but if you have a crappy amp it will take away from a good sounding bass,its an easy problem to solve it just depends on what your motive is,wanna look cool with a nice bass ? or wanna sound good and be seen playin a beginner or low end bass?:bassist: the answer lies within yourself good luck and happy amp hunting ;)

3. Well, It matters if your playing big gigs or plan on doing so in the future. If your just playing small clubs and small bars, I recommend you go with the Music Man. If you need the big power for big gigs, go with the amp. Peace