New Bass or New Combo??? $300 range. Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnnycat42, Jan 23, 2009.

1. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Hi Everyone-

I have $225 to spend. I am looking at a used Danelectro '63 Longscale bass. My other option is to sell my little GK Backline 110 and spend $325-$350 or so on a giggable Combo amp. I do more recording and rehearsal but do some gigging as well.

This is my Bass setup. I probably wont be able to add it for a while after this. What would fellow TB'ers do?

Fender USA P Bass
    Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
    GK 700RBII
    GK NEO 15
    GK Backline 110
    Sansamp Programmable
    MXR M80
    Line 6 Bass POD

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Neither, you've got everything you need. Save the money...

3. bassophil

bassophil

Jan 17, 2009
    Sell the GK Backline, sell the Line 6 Bass POD, buy a 4x10" cab.

4. budget bassist

budget bassist

Jan 4, 2009
    +1, what is $225 gonna get you that does anything better than what you already have?
    I say sell the 110 cab and buy a 210 or a 410

5. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    True, you make good points. I guess I'm realizing that I got all the bases covered (pun intended) but I got a little GAS. I am 37 and got a family and very rarely do I get a chance to blow $300 or so on musical equipment these days. So it is a luxury I am not sure I can pass up. Trying to find something useful.

Schecter 004 just came up too which is another I have had my eye on. I have heard good things on the Dano. The combo is probably a waste. So it is now down to a 2-10 cab, Dano or Schecterbacker

BTW--Thanks for the opinions--it has already helped narrow it down a bit

6. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    I couldn't fight the gas and pulled the trigger on a Schecter 004, supposed to be delivered today :hyper: Do I really need it? Not at all :D

7. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Congrats, I always liked that bass. Seems excellent for the money. Never played the Dano yet but heard they were pretty cool for the cash. 2-10 gives me some flexibility.

8. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    I messed with the 004 at a GC and loved it, imho schecters are underrated, the 004 is on sale now, since the new models are coming out, but this is not an schecter thread hehehe moving on.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I would keep the P, Geddy and Sansamp or MXR.
    Sell the GK stuff, Pod and MXR or Sansamp.

Get a nice combo amp like a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T or 6.0-12T if you need a little more umph. It's plenty for gigging - if you have some PA help - but I also do my jazz gigs with it as a stand alone. Works great. $800.

10. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Totally agree Mazatleco17.

11. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I like the portable thing and could see myself lugging around a 1-12 combo...always trying to make things easier to lug around as long as it sounds great. The GK sounds pretty damn good though too.

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That is pretty much word for word exactly what I was going to say. If you get another Neo bottom you can run your 700rb at full power if needed, and you can also have a seperate bottom option if you feel ya don't want to use the 15.

13. Buy the Dano. They are cool basses with a great retro vibe.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021