Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass or not new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Brian K, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Let me preface this with how great it is to have recently (re)discovered the wealth of information and people that is TalkBass.

I have a few questions for you that I'm going to throw together in this one post.

Here's the situation: A few months ago I came to the realization that my 194? Czech flatback isn't the bass I'm going to be playing for the rest of my life. I've loved this bass for a few years, and it really does sound fairly good in all registers. The D and G sound really great in the lower poitions, but are hard to get a good bowed sound from in the higher register, and with the body being between most 5/8ths and 3/4 basses, it's hard to get big volume from the A and E. A good friend has offered to buy my it in September for C$5000. I have a hunch it won't be worth selling, because I'm not so sure I can find a better sounding instrument without doubling that amount. I don't see myself having more than a few thousand to add to that by the fall, so my questions are these:

1) Is $5000 the most I can expect to get for a good sounding small 3/4 bass with a carved top, ply back and sides, an extension w/ C and D stops and a Wilson pick-up?

2) Are there any magical mystery luthiers out there that anyone knows of that can build symphony quality instruments that work equally well in contemporary music for four figures?

3) Are there luthiers out there that anyone knows of that build more expensive instruments that are willing to let players pay off the instrument over a (really) long period of time?

4) Are there old basses that anyone knows of available in or near Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, St. John's, Yellowknife, Vancouver or Victoria that I could try out while on tour this summer?

Maybe this should be in the classifieds instead. I'll let the moderators decide.

Thanks in advance everyone. I'm sure your insight will be very heplfull.

brian

2. Your questions are in the right place, but it's about my turn to ask you to check out our Newbee Links at the top of the Basses area..... There's a wealth of info right down your line in there.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I haven't seen or heard of any US or Canadian basses in the 4 figure range, but I hear good things about Paul Bryant's basses. He has a website (or a link from All Hail Bob Gollihur's webpage on luthiers), he's in Britland. But his copy of a George Panormo was going for about 6000 Euros. There's a shoppe in Phoenix (Steve Kosicas, there's also a website) that generally stocks a Bryant, but he also will charge more to cover bringing the bass in.

There used to be a couple of Dutch legit players that posted here, one of whom used a Bryant, the other sat next to a Bryant in the section - both had very nice things to say about the sound.

4. I've yet to be able to play one, but Arnold Schnitzer's New Standard Bass (http://www.newstandardbass.com/) line seems to have gained quite a few fans for what seems to be a thoroughly reasonable sum. Pacman and/or Adrian Cho also seem to have tricked up their Christophers to the point that they are serious over-achievers. Maybe these suggestions aren't even in the ballpark of quality you desire, but at least their prices seem to be compelling...

5. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks everyone. I've been making some plans to check out several Canadian builders this summer. While I have been able to hear some positive opinions about basses by Brock Radelet, Inokuchi and Son, Mario Lamarre, and Peter Chandler, one luthier I have plans to visit that I know almost nothing about is Don Gorman. Does anyone have any experience with his instruments?

Thanks again.

brian

6. No chance. I don't know how you can even ask.