1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New bass or repair?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WWOD?, Feb 1, 2003.

1. I currently have a Peavey Milestone II 4 string that I bought off of a friend last year for $75. Its served its purpose as my first bass, but it needs more repairs. When I bought it I had to replace the input jack and now it needs new wiring (I think) as the volume cuts out if I even touch the volume knob. The 5th fret on my G string is also pretty much dead. My question is rather I should keep paying the money to repair it or start looking for somehthing new?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Dosen't sound like it need much work. A new set of setings & set up would cost about $50 or so & it sounds like a loose wire or dirty pot that should be a freebee if the same shop does the set up.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. Spend a bit on it now and it should last ya 10 or 20 years. Besides it's your "First Bass" - you should keep it forever regardless of how many basses you accumilate. I sold my first bass and I regret it now.

4. Yep. Don't sell your first bass! You'll want it back within a year. Spend a bit of cash on it, or just shove it in a closet for a year or so (and loosen the strings if you do!). Unless you really need the cash (read: if you have cancer or equvalent and need medication)

5. He didn't mention selling it, I'd say treat yourself nice and get a new bass :)