Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass, or Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 19, 2006.

Upgrade the old or get something new?

Poll closed Jan 22, 2006.
  1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    I love my Ibanez Sr400 ($400 bucks, + case), but there are a few problems (string spacing is a BIT narrow, electronics need upgrading), some fret buzz, etc, crappy bridge.

Should I put 200+ into fixing this guy up, or would it serve me better looking for a more higher end bass.

I have played a variety of guitars, and have yet to find something I like more than the Ibanez at a decent cost (I DID like that Pedulla... but 3 grand?... yea.). I still need to get my hands on a few more basses, but overall, nothing is really fitting within the price range.

So basically, i was thinking maybe get a custom from Stambaugh. Regardless, is it worth my while to upgrade or buy something new?

2. Out with the old dude... get something new. I have owned a I-Been-Had before, it was a btbqm405, great bass, I loved the neck but the darned thing ate up so many batterys and I wouldnt even have the joker plugged in until I played on it. Spend your money on something better.

You do get what you pay for, I got a great deal on my jazz bass. Save your money up, check local ad's, music shops and even pawn shops, you can and will run across something good. I bought my BTB from a pawn shop for like $195 with tax in mint condition! There are great deals out there you just have to look for them. Happy hunting :bassist:

Evan

3. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    Get something new... if you can afford to, upgrade your old bass for a cool backup!! That's always a fun project and you never know how cool it might turn out!!

4. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    How do you answer an either/or question with yes or no????????????

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    upgrade with used.

6. Exactly what i was thinking of

7. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    While upgrading your bass maybe cost efficient, if you have the extra cash, I would recommend purchasing a higher end bass. My reasoning is that I believe you will get more enjoyment and usage out of a higher end bass for a longer period of time.

If you like Ibanez products, the company's BTB line of basses have wider string spacing and a mono-rail bridge. Check them out.

Ted

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    No offense but you should never leave any active bass plugged in when not playing it. They all eat batteries that way.

9. it depends, if your going to get something much better then buy something new, but if you only got two hundred, dont downgrade your bass.

10. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    I'll go the other way and say upgrade what you have. I know it's hard for me to decide what new bass i want since they keep getting more and more expen$ive. I think if you're already super comfortable with the bass you have, if you upgrade electronics you may find all kinds of new and/or better tones, and if you upgrade the bridge..well..you'll have a better bridge. I can't afford a new bass, so i took my old OLP in for a setup so i could play that for awhile rather than my pbass for a change of pace.

11. "Upgrade the old or get something new?"

If "yes" wins, you can upgrade your old bass, and get a new one....

If "no" supecedes the "yes" votes, you must play the old bass without modding it forever(includes buying new strings)

I voted "no".

12. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
  13. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i just realized... yea.. yes or no has NO relevance. excuse me.. BLONDE MOMENT :rollno:

any way, i kinda like the "get something new" idea :D

thanks, regardless of my stupidity.

14. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    upgrade.

you learn more, and its fun working with things. i may pickup a SX soon to do just that, cmon tax refund. adds a personal touch to the sucker too.

15. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well, i'd of course still keep the ibanez. and 145 bucks for some bart pups would be a decent deal or villex for $150 and rewiring is still a decent deal.

but now i kinda want something higher end. and i do have 2 grand saved up... hmmm.

i need to start trying stuff. badly.