1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New bass out: Swope Dakota

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plutonium244, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Swope-Guitars-Dakota-Bass-Full-1500x450.

Swope Guitars Dakota Bass Specs:
    Body: Light Weight Center-Seam Clear Grade Alder
    Neck: Flat or Rift Sawn Hard Rock Maple
    Fingerboard: Quarter Sawn Rosewood Slab
    Scale: 34″
    Pickup: Dakota Humbucker
    Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer With “Knock-Around” Treatment
    Color: Candy Apple Red
    Pickguard: Tortoise
    Nut: Aged Bone
    Tuners: Gotoh “Res-O-Lite” GBR 640 Nickel
    Bridge: Gotoh 203B-4 Nickel
    Strings: D'Addario EXL165
    Case: G&G Vintage Style Black Tolex
    Origin: USA

List: $2899 passive, $3150 with Aguilar ODB-1 preamp installed

Swope Guitars

Swope Guitars

Full disclosure: Chris Swope is a friend of mine from the olden days in Lawrence Kansas, but today he is a first rate luthier. Before starting his own shop a number of years ago, he worked for Roger Sadowsky in NYC for a number of years, then moved on to the Gibson Custom Shop in Nashville. He worked with a number of major artists in both places. His guitars and basses are available at a number of retailers in the US, including Chicago Music Exchange, Music Emporium Lexington MA, Carter Vintage Guitars Nashville (Swope guitars are popular with Nashville players); and in the UK at The North American Guitar, London.
    His guitars, including GTO, Geronimo, and others, have been very well received, and Ron Wood is currently playing a Swope on the current Rolling Stones tour.

Swope has just released a bass model for the first time, the Dakota. It's a great-sounding bass with a vintage look, and his own proprietary pickup. I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet-- Chris, where's my promotional freebie? lol-- but I've heard the clips and it sounds terrific.

It's been getting some very good press...

(Swope Dakota in the middle here):
    20423854_10155537007733917_7755386973144660979_o.

A NAMM pic with Dave Booschoft of Aguilar fame... the Dakota uses an Aguilar preamp (passive option available).

20181146_492602501073665_3983225809308483584_n.

Here is a link to a No Treble summary: Swope Guitars Unveils the Dakota Bass

Having little to do with bass guitars, except to point to the fact that Swope's instruments are top notch, here is Ron Wood playing a Swope guitar during the first kick-off of the Rolling Stones Eueopean Tour a few days ago in Germany (though Jagger's intonation leaves something to be desired):

bholder likes this.
  2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Mick Jagger is Ron Wood's guitar tech? o_O

3. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    lol. What I mean is, Jagger's singing sucks ass through much of this video. But that probably would have gone without saying, amirite? ;)

4. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I love the look of these; price is def a lot more than I expected, but perhaps they're targeted to a different level of player.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  5. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, they are right up there price-wise with the Lulls and Sadowsky Metros, very nearly. Swope used to work at Sadowsky so I am sure he has incorporated all his tricks, lol. Eh, just kidding-- no trademark infringements expressed or implied. Swope does his own thing, and is a helluva builder. Ronnie Wood still rockin' his Swope GTO on European tour. These Dakota basses are just getting out there, in dribs and drabs.