Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by madvip, Sep 28, 2000.

1. madvip

madvip

Sep 26, 2000
    I've got a Tanglewood Nevada bass, and the pickups i've got are named "EMC electronics".

I want to change the pickups for a better sound. What pickups do you suggest me??

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    EMG (Not emC) are excellent. So are bartolini pickups.

3. agreed, EMGs are some real sweet pickups.

4. madvip

madvip

Sep 26, 2000
    No look.....they're EMC not EMG. EMC stands for European Music Company.

5. We understood that your pickups aren't EMGs, and that they are EMCs, what we were saying is that you should go for EMGs, or he also said to go with Bartolini pickups. You can also use Seymor Duncan, those are great pickups too. So now you have three options to choose from

6. madvip

madvip

Sep 26, 2000
    Thanks mrfortunecookie and brewer9, i've misunderstood you.

Do you know whether fender pickups are good?

7. it's no prob that you had a misunderstanding. Fender pickups, to the best of my knowledge, fender pickups are all passive. Active pickups are usually the way to go. Personally, my next bass is gonna have a Musicman Humbucker on it, but i assume that you're bass isn't set up for those and even then, humbuckers are for a certain type of sound. I like em, i know other people do too, and then there are others that don't. But i think you should go with one of the first orginal three options.

8. madvip

madvip

Sep 26, 2000
    Actually I have not decided yet whether i shall replace my tanglewood emc pickups with good ones, or to buy a new bass (fretless or 5 string or both). I have a low budget. Any suggestion mrfortunecookie?

9. Actually yeah, i do. I just bought a new ESP Ltd for $450. But it normally costs $550 new. It has 5 strings and is freted, though i'm sure you could get a fretless for the same price or pay someone to defret it, if you find the right person they won't charge you much for the job. It also has two EMG-Hz on it. Real nice sound, take a look into it.