Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass--Pics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Aug 1, 2004.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My new Bongo arrived on Thursday, but it came in as fretted instead of fretless. I'll be keeping this one until a fretless arrives in a couple of weeks, so I'll get the chance to build up some GAS for a fretted with a SC/H/P set up. :D

Here's the white Bongo with my Sapphire Black:
    [​IMG]

And, here are some pics of the white Bongo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I am obviously disappointed that the bass didn't show up fretless, as ordered, the way that Ernie Ball AND Guitar Center handled it was above reproach. Not only is GC letting me hang onto the fretted Bongo until my fretless arrives, I actually received word from Ernie Ball to call them, and I was treated very well and heard straight from the horse's mouth what they were doing to make it right. I've dealt with many companies in the past, big and small, and EB/MM has given the best customer service, hands down.

I'm going to record some sample mp3s of the SC/H/P Bongo before I trade it in for the fretless so people can finally hear the difference between the two configs, too.

I have to admit, for getting the wrong bass, I'm actually pretty happy since I still get to play with a new Bongo. it's almost like an appetizer before the main course of the fretless. :cool:

The white with abalone looks great in person. I thought about changing the color combo since I was essentially getting the chance to order my bass, again. Almost changed to Medallion Gold/python pickguard, but I decided to stay with the white/abalone.

The fretted version looks really nice, but I have a feeling the color combo will work really well once those speed bumps come off the fretboard. :D There's just something very "no frills" about a white bass, and with all of the coffee table basses that are in vogue these days, I just wanted a simply color scheme that would match my current Bongo.

Don't get me wrong--I own a couple of crazy coffee table basses, too.

The SC/H/P fretted Bongo will make a great bass for someone after my fretless shows up. If this one stays in Atlanta after it goes back to GC, at least people in the area will have a chance to try out a different pickup scheme than all of the H/H and H/H/P setups around town.

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I must say those Bongo's look better every time I see them. :D I need to get me an orange one (I forgot what the official color was called)

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Those Bongos are growing on me as well. The first time I played one I was amazed, they look and play fast.

4. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    WOW! The white/abalone is sweet looking! Good thing you didn't change. Black/abalone would probably kick booty as well. :cool:

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

That would be Lava Pearl, same exact paint that Honda uses on the Sunset Pearl Element (which I own :D). Looks great with the shell pickguard. :D

bassmonkeee, not surprised at all by the response from EB, typical of their attitude at getting things RIGHT. Of course, if you'd bought elsewhere, I betcha you woulda gotten the bald board right off the bat! (That'll learn ya!!! ;) ) I agree about the white, looks great!

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, the person who ordered it got it right--the problem was on Ernie Ball's end of the deal. So, it probably would have been wrong if I'd ordered through you, too, I'm afraid.

Oh, and he could be talking about desert Gold, too--which, coincidentally, is the color of my thrid and last Bongo when I order it. If you're nice, Gard, I might just order it through you guys. :D

7. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    im diggin the black one with black strings... funky stuff

8. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    You can't go wrong ordering through Gard, but it sounds like things are being handled well for you. I haven't played a Bongo yet, but seeing these and your enthusiasm for them sure makes me a bit GASsy. I bet the fretless will be awesome.

9. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Lava Pearl was the one I saw and liked. Gard's right on the money :)

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'll be honest and say white basses (nay, white anything that's not a kitchen appliance) aren't my cup 'o tea, but that has to be the most beautiful pickguard I've ever seen!

For someone that's never had the chance to play one, I sure do have a case of BongoLust. It figures my "local" GC has to have at least 7 S.U.B.'s, but not one Bongo. :crying:

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hey, you should get that thing a custom pickguard:

[​IMG].

:D Just kidding, sorry.

Nice!

P.S. - are the black strings DRs, or tapewounds?

12. nice bass, that pickguard is insane... from what my friend tells me eb/mm is a top notch company for customer service, hes ordered a few axis guitars from them and they always hook him up with free stuff and he has a rep there who knows him very well now... you cant beat that service

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Ya know--that joke keeps getting funnier, and funnier... :p

I think I'm going to get a bright yellow pickguard so everyone will immediately think "egg" instead of "toilet seat." At least I'll get to hear some new jokes...

Those are LaBella nylon tapewounds. They sound absolutely huge with the two Humbuckers. I've used it at a gig with the Tapes (a five hour blues gig), and I really enjoyed the way they sounded. The 4 band Bongo EQ gave me a lot of flexibility, and with the natural high end roll off of the tapewounds, the treble knob was more useful than nurmal. I could add some presence without any terrible 'zing' coming into play. Say what you will about the Bongos looks, but the electronics are one of the most intuitive and powerful systems available today. I feel sorry for people who can't get past the looks. What a dumb reason to deprive yourself of an amazingly useful instrument.

Unfortunately, the piezo is a bit screwy, so I'm going to send it out to EB/MM for a once-over. I'll use the shipping box the Egg bass was shipped in, and I'll have a fretted Bongo to use while it's gone for repairs, it seems, so I can't think of a more painless repair process. :D

14. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    White is probably the least liked color for basses. So, I knew I'd have to have thick skin to own a white Bongo. :bag: In fact, I usually don't like white basses, either, but with the option of changing out the pickguard, I wanted to get something a bit different. Seeing them at the Bass Central website helped, even if they didn't have the abalone pickguard with the white Bongo. I knew the abalone would look great, but, I've already got a plan to order a tort guard for the white Bongo in the near future.

15. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    That would be sweet.

16. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You know, I really tried to convince myself I liked the Bongo, but I can't warm up to the tone! The looks don't bother me at all, but I can't seem to get the B string to sound clear on any that I've tried. Also, the action has been way too high on all the 5ers I've played. Strange, as this seems to be the exact opposite of most peoples opinion of the Bongo.

Congrats tho, that white one looks KILLER, I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on the fretless version.

17. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    what kind of string are on that black bongo? The black strings?(besides "ernieball strings" what kind)

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Action can be adjusted. And, I don't understand how you couldn't get a good tone out of one with a working 4 band EQ.

My B string sounds amazing, and I normally string it with TI Powerbass strings (which only has a .119" B string). As I said when I answered Geshel, it's currently set up with LaBella tapewounds.

I'm curious to hear my thoughts on the fretless version, too. :D

19. i wish those came in sixers. i would pick up one of those in a second.

20. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Read the thread. It's not that long.