Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New "Bass Player" Cover

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Dec 1, 2000.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A NEW LOW: Adam Clayton on the cover of the Dec. Bass Player. Who's lined up for the Jan. cover - Kip Winger or Jermaine Jackson ? (Just when we were getting some props, dammit!):eek:

2. Whats wrong with Adam Clayton? :D

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What's wrong with Kip Winger? Ever seen him live? The guy can actually play.

4. i saw kip live with alice cooper, that was years ago and he couldn't play, maybe he can play now, Jermaine Jackson can play, adam clayton can play simple but he fits U2 perfect

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    define "couldn't play" please. i have a hard time believing Alice Cooper getting 2nd rate musicians. But that's just my opinion.

When I him with Winger (the band) he was solid. Granted he's not playing difficult scales or doing taps or anything like that, but I wouldn't say he sucked.

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Hmmmm...let's see now...
    Adam Clayton is a "bass player"...and he is going to be on the cover of "BASS PLAYER" magazine.
    Am I missing something here? :D

7. Well I couldnt have said it better myself. He plays simple and effective. Ctually he is the only bassplayer I know of who has gone to simlper and simpler playing over the years.. strange.. maybe he is lazy?

But he is a bass player so whats wrong with him on the cover of Bass Player? I dont get that either.. :)

8. Hey, at least it ain't Fieldy on the the cover this month. Adam's playing fits the band well. Is there something wrong with being solid and holding down the bottom end? I don't think so and heck, I wouldn't mind being in his position. The guy is playing music for a living in a great band!

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

As far as I am concerned, and I admit that I am NOT an elitist when it comes to bass players, ANY bass player including Duff McKagan who has played in a band that has sold as many albums as U-2 and that band has survived as long as U-2...well, that bass player deserves to be on the cover of Bass Player and I am certain he can teach me something.

What better criteria would there be than the success of the U-2 band to qualify a bassist to be on the cover? Bass Player has twelve issues a year. Some issues just have a bass or music equipment, but, let's say, ten issues feature bassists. Seems like at least on of those bass players could be one from a well established band (other than a jazz band).

Why? Because probably in the end, most bass players make their living playing popular music. The bars, wedding reception halls, cruise ships, Las Vegas and Broadway orchestra pits, honkey tonks, roadhouses, etc. are filled with that type of bass player...most of whom never tap, never play in really unusual tunings, and never will develop a style so unique as to be considered breakthrough.

So, I say, let Adam Clayton shine on the cover of Bass Player. More power to him.

Jason Oldsted

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    He's been on the cover before, wait for the new Korn CD and he'll be back :)

I've just about had it, if they put Ed Fuqua on the cover, I'm cancelling my subscription!!!

11. Yeah Brian, I know Fieldy will be back! At least BP is mixing it up a little. They can't have Jaco on the cover every month :) although I wouldn't mind! The article on Adam Clayton is interesting though.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, i'd get 2 issues with kung-Fu'qua on the cover - that'd be a quality issue right there :D. although they'd have to take the pic with one of don's basses :D

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'll concede this to the new BP issue, that Fabregues which is offered as the contest prize is one gorgeous instrument. I didn't even know Puerto Rico made basses much less such nice ones.

14. don´t mean to bash anyone or start a flame thread....but doesn´t Fieldy´s playing fit Korn´s music? :)

15. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX

16. Hey The_Bass,

Actually my point was that BP wasn't being repetitive with their choices of bassists they feature on the cover,Sam Rivers one month, Adam Clayton the next. Ya know what I mean? I might not like every person (or that person's band) that they put on the cover but I do enjoy reading about them and their differing approachs to bass playing!;)

ZB

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I remember seeing U2 when they started out touring small clubs in the UK and they were pretty good, although I thought they ripped off "Public Image" amongst others.
    It seems an age ago now and it's pretty amazing that they're still together with the same band members, when so many trends and styles have come and gone.

They do seem to have got simpler and have concentrated more on the song, as they have gone on. I can see why this works and they fill a need in the market for simple powerful songs, that don't necessarily need any flashy playing.

I suppose I can't imagine that I would learn much about bass playing from Adam Clayton - but you never know! I would think he must have huge experience, however, of being in a successful band - both live and on record, for a very long time. Surely he must be worth a chance?

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I did, I did! I was in London yesterday and visited the Barbican which was selling the latest issue. (It's a classical music venue) Very interesting - I particularly liked the music in the middle - the first piece should be compulsory for anyone interested in the history of Jazz bass. It has three parts : each dedicated and in the style of Paul Chambers, Charles Mingus and Scott Le Faro. Written by Teppo Hauta-aho. Great stuff - far better than Bass Player! :)

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    In BASS PLAYER's history, Jaco has been on the cover ONLY 2X! Newstead & Ament have been on the cover...2X!
    Gary Willis...never been on the cover.
    When BP first fired up its engines, they boldly claimed they were about ALL bass players(ie, BOTH the electric & ACOUSTIC). One time has an acoustic player been on the cover(Charlie Haden); Ron Carter SHARED a cover w/ Anthony Jackson.
    ...not that I'm keeping score. :D
    Anyway, no big deal to me about Clayton(& I've had this issue about 3 weeks & none of ya heard a peep from me).
    Too, I could care less whether a guy has sold x amount of albums...it's about "art" not econmoics(IMHO...again!).

BTW-
    I'd love to see an article in BP about the "unknown" NYC bassists(like KungFu, William Parker, Peter Washington, Michael Formanek, Ben Allison, etc). :D

20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Speaking of Art.....

have any of you guys checked out "Jazz Improv" magazine? wow, heavy stuff, over 200 pgs, chock full of information, not ads... thumbs up from me!