1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass Player from Canada

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by LadyBassist, Mar 6, 2008.

1. LadyBassist

LadyBassist

Mar 5, 2008
    Hi everyone,
    I recently fell into the bass... I play the mandolin, mandola, violin, piano, ukelele and some guitar... I have always been told I have natural rhythm (even my Kindergarten teachers made a point about this on reports cards all those years ago--I should say that my dad was a drummer)... anyway, long story short, my husband, who plays the guitar, was having me learn the bass parts of The Two of Us by The Beatles on the guitar... no problem, but somehow we got onto me maybe playing the bass. So I picked one up two weeks ago (an Oscar Schmidt OB40) and just love it.

I am not a big person, and always had a problem with the size of guitars... not with my hands (I have long piano hands), but rather with the size of the guitar body... my mandolin is perfect for me. I do have a parlour guitar (Larrivee), which is more my size (this I picked up after seeing Beck on Saturday Night Live playing a parlour guitar... Beck is not a big guy). Surprisingly enough, the bass was a great fit.

So I am a beginner at the bass, but have experience with other instruments, can read music and the different clefs, and am used to different beats and rhythms.

Anyway, glad to find Talkbass, and look forward to reading more experienced players.

Cheers! :hyper:
    Traci

2. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Welcome to TalkBass.:)

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Welcome to TB!

You should put Canada as your location. Sometimes it helps with answers if we know where you are from.