Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass player here, what should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ranger-X, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Dec 11, 2004
    Austin, TX, USA
    Hello everyone. This is my first time posting here, as I am pretty new to playing bass. I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but it seemed like a good place to start. Well, I've been playing guitar for 7 years now, but I want to start learning bass for versatility. So what I really want to know is, what bass should I get as a starter? I don't have much money to spend, so I was thinking of getting an SX or a Squier. I seem to like Fender-style basses better, but I'm open to all options. Mainly I'm just confused about the differences between bass pickups, so I don't know whether to get a P-Bass, J-Bass, or whatever. Are there any sound clips I can find of the diffent bass pickups? Any other advice you guys can give would be helpful as well. Thanks!

2. Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Dec 11, 2004
    Austin, TX, USA
    Oops. I just realized that this is pretty much covered in the FAQ. But still, where can I find sound clips? I've tried searching, but with no luck. Thanks again.

3. well to start off, what kind of music are you into

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Telling us what sort of music you play would be a good place to start. What might be suitable for jazz might not be what you'd want for, say, country music.

5. Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Dec 11, 2004
    Austin, TX, USA
    Myself, I mainly play rock, and blues. I'm really into classic rock, not much of the new stuff. I can't stand punk or nu metal. Country is not my forte either, but I like some of it alright. I like jazz as well, but I don't know how to play any of it, being a rock guitarist. Anything else I can add to help?

6. you could really go either way. jazz basses have ALOT more punch the p-basses. P-basses have a thicker neck than jazz bass. I for one love jazzes, there awesome for slapping.

7. Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Dec 11, 2004
    Austin, TX, USA
    Yeah, I like slap, so maybe I should get a J-bass. Mainly I want a warm, low tone. I don't like it when basses are really thin and nasally sounding, although I like the way the J-bass bridge pickup sounds. I was thinking about getting this:

http://www.rondomusic.net/product266.html

Simply because I like the way it looks, and it comes with a case. The only thing that bugs me is that the back is painted black, which probably means the wood underneath it is crappy, even if it says it is made from alder. Either that, or maybe I will get a PJ style bass, like this:

http://www.rondomusic.net/spj62.html

Then I could have the best of both worlds, eh? Plus we have some really sweet sounding Ducan Basslines PJ style pickups in our garage. I might be able to install them if the stock pickups sound crappy. I've heard that the hardware on the SX basses is really cheap, though, so maybe I should just get a Mexi Fender bass. But I still haven't found any sound clips for basses...