1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass player | Looking for a combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bruise182, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Bruise182

Bruise182

Nov 28, 2018
    Hey!

Started playing bass 6 months ago.
    Got a mij j-bass, and looking for a light-weight combo amp.
    Main use is to play with friends and practice at home.
    Also, it's important for me to get an amp that will work for years, I don't have money to buy a new one every year :)

What do you guys think of:
    Fender Rumble V3 40
    ORANGE CRUSH CR50BXT
    GK MB110

Or do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  2. I like all three, but possibly in their more powerful versions depending on how loud things will get when playing with others.
    What's your max budget?

Also keep in mind that if any of these accept an extension cab, that without the extension they are capable of only around 50 to 70% of their nameplate power. And adding said extension cab will get you louder faster than just upping the power.
    So I would at least look for combos that will take an extension cab in case it is no longer loud enough with just the combo alone.

Ed Byrnes, Bruise182 and ErnieD like this.
  3. I would pick GK MB110. It's a 100 watt combo and it puts out 100 watt on itself, doesn't need an ext cab to put out 100 watt.

Bruise182 and ErnieD like this.
  4. I really like the Orange of the three if rock is your thing. It is really loud for 100 Watts (not a class D amp) and the dirt it can produce is fun. Plus, it is orange.

Bruise182 and ErnieD like this.
  5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Good choices there. I read where many were impressed with the Rumble V3 combos'. I have alot of big gigging gear and a few years old, TC-E BG250-15" combo. It's loud enough for some club gigs I've done. But I wanted something even lighter to take band rehearsals and open mic jams I attend. I was even using one of my PA powered 12" speakers at times due to the lighter weight.

I just bought a new, Rumble 100w, V3 combo and I'm very impressed with what I got for the money. Powerwise and even sound wise, it's a great sounding little amp. And at only 22lbs, it's a one hand carry to rehearsals/club jams. I ran a line out to house board PA at one pub and it still mostly carried the room on its own. I'm actually eyeing that Rumble 500w head to run thru my larger cabs I like its' tone so much. I already have a GK MB800, Peavey Mini Mega 1000, TC-E BH550 and Ampeg V4B-ri. But the Rumbles' tone impressed me that much.

I'm sure the other combos on your list will work well for you. Just depends on the sound you are going for at this point, I'd guess. I've not ever tried the other combos, so can't speak to their features. I see here where many have gotten the Rumble 40w V3 and been happy. I think I could've lived with that 40w V3. But I like what the 12" driver gives me as I only play 5 string, active/passive, fretted/fretless basses.

If you plan to use a combo for a long time, try to buy abit more than what you need now. Good luck and keep use posted on how you went. peace, e.

Haroldo and Bruise182 like this.
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Any of them are good for home practice. The question is what all will be entailed in "jamming with friends," and whether you want an amp you can eventually gig with. If jamming means a little blues or folk music or something in your living room, that's one thing. If it's a punk rock garage band, that's another. Drummers are loud, and you'd be amazed at how loud a guitar amp with just 15 watts and a single 12" speaker can get when it's cranked.

If your amp is going to need to keep up with a rock drummer and guitarist, you'll need more than any of those. Wattage counts, but speaker area counts more. I would say you need 200 watts or more through either a 2x10 or 1x15. For that, in say the Rumble series, you want the Rumble 500, not the Rumble 40. If that's too much for your budget, consider the Peavey MAX 115, just to get you to rock-band volumes.

7. Mod7

Mod7

Sep 17, 2018
    France
    I had tried both le Orange and the Rumble 40 at my local shop and I bought the Rumble 40v3. To my ears, the Orange lacks a bit of low end.
    The Fender is powerful for 40W combo and sounds very good for its price. And its lightweight is the cherry on top.
    Try both, you may love the rock sound of the Orange, Fender is more on the all-round side.

ErnieD and Bruise182 like this.
  8. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Out of those you listed, the GK if you need the power, the Rumble 40 if you don't. Plus afaik the preamp in the V3 Rumbles from 40 to 500 watts are the same so if you like the basic sound and decide later that you need more power you can upgrade later and know what your basic sound is going to be like.

I'd recommend the Rumble 200. 100 watts through the 15" combo speaker for decent thump at home or hook up an extension cab for 200 watts and more speaker area for playing with others. I've played my Jazz and StingRay 4-strings through it and liked it quite a bit.

Reasonable sound, good price, & flexibility. What's not to like?

If I didn't already have my Mesa WA I'd really be looking at one of these.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Mod7, ErnieD and Bruise182 like this.
  9. Bruise182

Bruise182

Nov 28, 2018
    I'd like to know if I can add an extension cab to a combo amp?
    Or how do I know if it can take?
    I'm really no expert when it comes to amps.

My budget is around 400$, but I have to say I'm from Israel, so every thing is extra expensive.

And after reading all of your comments I'll got with 100W, probably.
    Either Fender or GK.
    I play rock, punk rock, alt rock, all those.
    I would like to do gigs, but I have no idea if it'll happen in the near future.
    But you guys kinda made me "afraid" to get only 100W

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Some you can, some you can't. Check the manufacturers' specs. And just look if there's an extension out jack.

Of the three you originally listed, none of them have powered extensions out.

However, the GK has their "chain output" feature. This uses an XLR cord and is supposed to connect the combo to their powered extension cabs. Those don't use the power from the combo, they have their own. But it's a way to increase your volume with the same tone.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  11. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    And if you really need to start slow, low price-not super volume, the 40-50 watt combos will work for alone home practice and maybe some lower volume band rehearsals. If band mates are not crazy loud.

And as a distant future upgrade option, if you liked the sound of one of those combos. Get a second of the same and run two..or more. :eek: Some will have effects loops, line out/in and maybe in some, just amp to amp. Some dude here on TB has about 4-6 Rumble 40w combos he runs all together...WOW. Now I wouldn't want that setup but it sure can be done. :wideyed:

And if you think you will have access to run thru a PA system, don't be afraid of these 100w options. With a line out to mixer board you can get all you need for the room. And the combo could be enough for your stage monitor. That may be too soon to speak to at this point. Get the best and most power you can afford I'd recommend. Don't go into hock on gear too soon......that (G.A.S.) will come later. :rollno: LOL peace, e.

12. Jamming turns into wanting to play in public. I too advise stepping straight past the practice amps and getting something that can put out. Get it used if necessary to meet budget.

revroy likes this.
  13. I just blew my second Peavey MAX115v2 last night at practice. Thank Goodness for Sweetwater. I loved the tone, but if you turn these amps up to 5 you are taking the life of the amp into serious peril zone. Liked the sound of the first and thought I had a dud, so a had it replaced. Second one died on me last night. It may be rated higher in wattage, but the electronics say, "NO!!!!" I don't typically bash, but I'm older and wiser about amp volumes and signals from my chain. These failures just shouldn't have happened. The DDT never even flickered. Trying the Rumble 500 now.