new bass player, looking for a nice starter amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phish Bassist, May 13, 2004.

1. Hi, my bass is on the way, and im trying to decide what amp i want to purchase. I'm looking for just a small amp, nothing powerful or mindblowing or anything, in like the 75-100 dollar range(I know thats cheap, but im tight on money and i want to play as fast as possible). What would be the best one for my situation?

2. If you can afford just a little more I would suggest a Peavey Micro Bass amp, its 20watts (i think) . a nice sounding little amp. Musicians friend has them for about $140 give or take.
  3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I'll second the Peavey Microbass!

Ibanez makes a decent sounding small amp too.
  4. i like the 25w marshalls, i recomend them to any one starting out. £100, im not sure what that is in $.
  5. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I'll chime in on the Peavey Microbass. Sounds great for its size, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin. Mine's bulletproof.
  6. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Sort'll take a .22 at range, but a good .30 will rip it to pieces. ;)
  7. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I started out with a Peavey Microbass and it was good for what it was. However, it was only a matter of a few days before I wanted/needed more power, volume and tone. I moved up to an Ampeg B-100R and would recommend you get one of those, if at all possible. You will save some money in the long run.
  8. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
  9. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    don't be afraid to look into used amps......
  10. dont buy used amps of ebay! its a bad bad idea and results in days with you head stuck in a speaker as a pool of water forms where your crying because you wasted your money! :crying: