Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass player looking for good bass songs to start with {TAB}

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Tony Canevaro, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Hi All!

I am a new player (less than a month). Due to my location and work situation I will be mostly self taught. I am working on thoery as well as tabs, tabs are just more convienent to get started with. I currently have the Hal Leonard and Bass guitar for Dummies books as well as John Pattitucci's videos. I have tabs for some songs I like but what I would really like is for some of you long time bass players to suggest a couple of good bass songs (most of my tabs are not "pure bass" songs and so listeners can't really tell what I'm playing) that are reasonable beginner songs.

Thanks for the help folks!

2. nfg4life

nfg4life

Jan 5, 2004
    hey, i have just started playin within the last six months and i am teachin myself also. the main songs that i started out with New found glory, hit or miss; blink 182, all the small things; but if you dont like music like that i dont know what to tell u thats just what my friends said to play to help out learnin. they have helped me with finger movements. if u learn anything else or other songs or anything about chords and scales and all that crap email me at joshlifehouse51@hotmail.com, that would help me alot
    peace

3. timmy

timmy

Jan 2, 2004
    Philadelphia
    dude, im in the same boat, i started with daytripper by the beatles, come as you are by nirvana,beatles-come together, bon jovi keep the faith, and pink floyds money they all have great bass lines and people instantly know what you are playing

4. RNG

RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    Conway,S.C.
    I am a beginner too. 1 month. An experianced player told me to try Flaw-Best I Am. I find that song to be easy yet good sounding.but.Slipknot-Liberate is an intermeiadte song. Not as hard as ongs such as Left Behind. Your best bet is just to go to www.mxtabs.com and search for songs man.

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ive played for a little more than 4 months. My first song was "about a girl" by nirvana and i followed this up with "seven nation army" by the white stripes. after that i learned most of the songs on a greatest hits cd of the cure (80's band).

then i started to learn harder songs, its one of the best ways to improve

duran duran - "rio"

red hot chili peppers - "soul to squeeze"

rancid -
    "journey to the end of east bay"
    "wolf"
    "maxwell murder" (minus the solo)
    "black lung" (i can almost do it)
    "new dress"

led zeppelin -
    "black dog"
    "dazed and confused"
    "communication breakdown"
    "whole lotta love"

the doors -
    "break on through"
    "strange days"
    "five to one"

(the doors ones are pretty easy, the led zeppelin ones... it depends on which song it is, and the rancid ones will test your might)

6. unrealrocks

unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    If your a beginner, head over to http://www.powertabs.net
    There you can not only get loads of tabs but also can help with everything else as it'll play the song to you and you can change the temp etc.

Its how I started!

7. Gilly

Gilly

Jan 17, 2004
    Lincolnshire UK
    ive been playing for 2 years now, and im getting pretty good, my advice is don't start with blink 182 tabs, they're to easy and to repetative, i started off with a little bit of intricacy (spelling), try "Where did you sleep last night by nirvana," on Mx Tabs look for the tab thats by Bassboi2003 (my tab), its 100% correct, and i wud be grateful if it was rated since it isn't at the moment, but its a great song to start off with...just don't play maxwell murder yet by rancid, very fast solo

8. punk14uk

punk14uk

Feb 7, 2004
    chili peppers bass lines!

9. Start with Rage Against The Machine songs - They rule.

10. I got my first bass on saturday so I'm only just starting out, but what I like is the intro to REM's 'Cuyahoga'. Sounds great and it's real easy too. But I can't find tabs for the whole song :crying:

11. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    yo- O... tis a good suggestion!

MOTOWN-
    Sly Stone, his family too!-
    1,4,5 blues patterns and pent scales are great starting points too.-

:bassist:

12. ratamahatta

ratamahatta Guest

Sep 8, 2003
    selah
    wow i know most of those i really like money and come together, a really good (in my opinion) bass line is the beatles obla di abla da and the beatles hey bullldog(kinda tough one though)

for some reason i got into greenday because they have some pretty trivk bass lines, unlike a bunch of other punk bands.

13. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I learned some U2 (Achtung Baby) and The Police when I first started out. Also, Radar Love by Golden Earring is a cool bass tune to play.

14. My very first bass song was longview by green day. Lots of people start with that one.

15. Learn anything and everything you can get your hands on and have the desire to sit down and play... BUT, and this is a huge but, do yourself a favor and make sure you learn them note for note, every little lick, every little nuance, every little string mute... that's when you really start to learn from other basslines and when *your* bass playing itself will improve... Otherwise you end up just learning how to play other player's lines within the context and limitations of your own ability and style and lose out in the long run, from a developmental standpoint!

16. Quite simple do what i did a couple of years ago. First grit your teeth and learn the whole first Rage Against the Machine album, as much of californiacation album by the RHCP and also try to play some early metallica i'm not a big fan but it's a different style of bass playing. Also practice scales they are good for hand exercise and will help you to understand the creation of basslines.
    This is by no means fullproof but it worked a treat for me! :D

17. fifthorange

fifthorange

Mar 13, 2004
    some good songs to first learn are Californiacation by the Chili Peppers, some cure songs (lullaby or lovesong), green day (stuart and the avenue or longview), the clash (london calling), and rage against the machine is good as well. another great song to learn is tired of sex by Weezer.

i suggest that you play with your natural pick though, your fingers. it will help in the future with bass, trust me.

18. LouisB

LouisB Guest

Aug 23, 2003
    Guernsey, UK
    I agree on learning all of the first rage album, that's what I did too.

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Definately anything blues is cool to learn. My first song was Metallica's "Seek & Destroy" It is straight 1/8 notes for the majority of the song except the middle of the song. It will teach you speed and get you using all your strings.You have to play it accurately or it just sounds like crap ,to me anyways. The second I learned was a cover done by Metallica, "Blitzkrieg". This song just has an awesome feel to me! After that I did what jnprather said to do. Get everything and anything! Good luck!
    Kelly Lee