New Bass player seeking help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Refill, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Refill

Aug 20, 2003
    I just recently decided that I want to play the bass. Its been an urge that I've had for a few years, that I have finally decided to try out. My first question is "do left handed basses exist?" I spent a whole day at the local Guitar Center yesterday and in-between playing with everything couldn't find a single bass that wasn't "right handed". Anyone know how easy these things are to find?

Also, I've heard of basses that have headphone jacks along with amp jacks. How common are these, because I dont have enough money to spend on an amp right now, and my practicing isn't to be heard around the house late at night.

Any other pointers for a very green beginner? Thanks in advance.
  2. hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hello, welcome to bass playing. There are 2 possible outcomes of this experience for u. 1. u become obsessed. 2. you quit in the first few months.

lefty basses arent that rare, im sure the shop had some in the back, u shoudl ask them if they have any in storage that you could try.
  4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Rondo music carries the SX line, and nearly every model is available left handed through them. They are great values, and won't break the band for a new player. Also, to save your money on the amp, go to radio shack, and get a 1/4" to 1/8" mono cable. One end to the bass, the other directly into the mic input on your computers sound card, instant practice amp for $3.99 This is also handy, because you can mix it with your computers CD, or MP3 audio to jame along. You can also plug your headphones into the computer, and let the computer speakers be your headphone amp.

Best $3.99 I ever spent.
  5. Refill

Aug 20, 2003
    thanks for all the good ideas. I'm heading to guitar center tomorrow to go look around again, see if i can rent in case this doesnt turn out to be my thing.
  6. boilerbass

Feb 14, 2003
    Hudson, OH

I am left handed, but I play bass right handed. If you are a complete beginner, my suggestion is to learn right handed. To me it felt equally strange either way at the start. I feel it was a good decision because:

1) More basses available right handed, especially used
    2) If you are at a friends house, or "jam" night, and borrow and instrument 99.99% will be right handed (or even just trying out someone elses bass)
    3) Being left handed, my left hand was more coordinated, and the left hand does all the fingering on a right handed bass.

Just my $0.02, hope it helps.

Of course, if you already know another stringed instrument left handed, the above does not apply.
  7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I'm surprised it's only been mentioned once, but if you can, I suggest getting started on lessons right away. With the right teacher and good practice skills you'll be on your way in no time.

By the way, you may want to look into combo packs. Low end basses that come packaged with small practice amps and cords and a tuner. Fender has one, Ibanez, Yamaha... and there's alot of others too. Most of them are under $250, which is a pretty good deal for folks who are starting out.

You also should ask GC (if you want to take lessons), if they rent out basses to students. When I started out, I rented a bass from the music store I was taking lessons from for 2 months. It was nice because if I didnt want to continue, I could just return it to them.
  8. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    i would go so far as to suggest the possibility of playing a right handed instrument upside down, like jimmy haslip for example. i have a lefty buddy and we trade instruments...the inversion can lend itself to a very original sound and approach, especially chord voicings.
    slapping becomes really interesting!

i think it's really worth considering
    good luck!