new bass player wanting private lessons in nashville

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tharrison72, Aug 9, 2005.

1. tharrison72

Jul 30, 2005
    alright, this is my first thread so i hope i do this right. i am 31 years old and i am learning to play bass. i have a general knowledge about scale/technique and not much else. i have had my bass for about 2yrs, and in the first yr i practiced a little and took a few lessons from a guy whose primary focus was guitar. i have since gone back to school and in the last yr i have not practiced so much :oops:

so my goal this summer was to practice much, much, much, more than i did in the beginning of 2005. i did, and now i feel like i can use (need) a private bass instructor. from every thing i have read on TB, lessons from a bass player will give me much more insight into bass playing than somebody who pretty much only plays guitar. there are a ton of instuctors who will give bass lessons, but their primary instrument is guitar.

so my question is, who out there knows of a great bass player who gives private lessons. i am still a student so my budget is around $15 a half hour.

i listen to all kinds of music, anything from rock to jazz. The Mars Volta, Coldplay, Cast Iron Filter, and i am really getting into more jazz. i listen to "attention span radio" on my itunes. (being from nashville you think i listened to country... but cann't say i do)

thanks in advance for any help you give me.

p.s.... rickr...your playing is sick

2. Hey man, I tried to send you a p.m., but I don't know if you got it or not. Either p.m. me or shoot me an email at, and I might be able to hook you up with something.
  3. pm sent to you
  4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Some advice for seeking a bass teacher. find someone who is interested in teaching you how to think for yourself. Someone who is going to present you with a set of tools that you can learn . It took me a year to find an instructor that was not interested in teaching me songs and style. He really pushed me to think for myself and let my own style develop. Just thought I would throw this in, hope it helps.
  5. tharrison72

Jul 30, 2005
    thanks seansbrew, i have found an instructor, and so far things seem to be moving along nicely. thanks for your advise and your response to my thread.