New Bass Player! What should i buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Primo, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Primo

Oct 20, 2002
    Hey im a new bass player and was wondering fi you guys/girls could point me in the right direction on what to buy. Im looking for something that would work for punk music (being the punker i am).
    Thanks alot,
  2. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hello Andrew, welcome to TB.
    There is a lot of newbies asking the same question: Which bass is good for me????.
    I think the best advice is to try almost every bass that fits your budget and sound needs. You don´t specify the style of music you want to play, or the kind of sound your looking for, anyway, I´ll sugest you to try some MIM (made in mexico) Fender´s: Jazz bass or Precision, they are great instruments and will fit in almost any style of music.

Good hunting and may the BASS be with you.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I would aslo suggest Yamaha, they are surprisingly good. Peaveys are also a name to check out, though I find their stuff isn't as consistent as Yamaha.

If you like thinner necks, an Ibanez isn't a horrible place to start, but you HAVE to play before you buy one. Ibanez can have some stinkers...
  4. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    a number of people on these boards like essex basses.

think fender, but much cheaper.

new, they are under $200 (cheaper than a made-in-mexico fender).

the drawback? you can't really try before you buy. unlike ibanez, fender, yamaha, peavey, et al, you won't find them in music stores (as far as i know).

maybe a few essex-ers can chime in with reliability and playability (but keep in mind that your experience may/will be inherently different).

conclusion? try out the aforementioned makes, but also be aware of what's available within your price range.
  6. Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    ya. i bought an essex for my first bass, its really not a bad bass. I think i got it from 100-150 range, and the tone quality was good for the price. I still played it some even with my danelectro longhorn, until i got bored of it. so i defretted it and decided to make it my learning tool for a fretless so when i decide to get one ill know how to play it well. its a good bass because its got decent sound and if you dont decide to keep playing theres always people looking for a cheap bass
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Why, you should buy a bass, of course :D

Seriously, there are so many basses around that it's impossible to say what's absolutely perfect for you. On the inexpensive side, I think Yamaha makes very good stuff.