1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass player!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by madsedan, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. madsedan

madsedan

Sep 9, 2009
    Dallas
    Played guitar since 89, nothing special but enjoyed playing with other people and could carry my own weight in a group. I bought a Dean acoustic bass a few years ago but never really committed and when the neck warped I got rid of it.
    This week I decided to commit to learning the bass and jumping off feet first. I sold one of my Les Paul's and bought a 97 Fender Deluxe Jazz MIA in a beautiful blue/green color with Pearloid pickguard and rosewood fretboard and a new Fender Rumble 150 that my local shop had NOS in inventory.

I'm going to use you tube instructional and Bass magazines to start learning proper technique, might take some lessons as well, see where it goes but I really enjoy playing it.

I know a good bit about the 97 MIA Jazz Deluxe, suhr electronics and preamp, but can anyone tell me what this color is called? I have been searching around online and I haven't found another 97 deluxe in this color combo with this fretboard, etc.
    1997 mia deluxe 8.

fretter and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  2. madsedan

madsedan

Sep 9, 2009
    Dallas
    I found one pic from an old Reverb add that was this exact combination and model, they called the color Teal Green Metallic, I guess that's what I have.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

hey: congratulations on the instrument! hope your 'learning' goes smoothly! :thumbsup:

4. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Welcome to the fold. I am a longtime guitarist gotten serious about bass, too. If you're going to play fingerstyle, strongly consider committing yourself to the floating thumb technique. There are many benefits versus anchoring your thumb.

It's efficient which lends itself to better speed and accuracy. Additionally, it really levels out your attack so your plucking is very consistent. Lastly, it's good ergonomically and may help you avoid pain or discomfort and problems down the road with carpal tunnel.

fretter likes this.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

6. madsedan

madsedan

Sep 9, 2009
    Dallas
    Awesome video, thanks busyfingers !
    I have been a finger style player for over a decade on the guitar, its actually hard for me to use a pick because of it, this may be the perfect technique for me.

7. 83Sunburst

83Sunburst

Nov 29, 2016
    Pikeville, KY
    I'm also new to bass. When I dig in or play a fast line/riff, I get some right hand finger noise and/or buzzing on the E. I'm playing a P with flats and my tone isn't on the bright side. What's my problem? Is it technique? String height? Tone? Thanks in advance!

8. Flats will not be on the bright side. If you want that change strings. If you want to control the finger noise aka buzzing put a piece of foam rubber under the strings at the bridge. Or use the floating thumb technique. Our beast does growl and needs some kind of a mute. No foam handy, use a sock and see if that helps, if so get some foam. I use the foam rubber from a foam rubber paint brush.

I use flats and foam rubber - gives me that thump sound of a double bass and also cuts down on the buzzing. Do a Google on foam rubber mute. Foam Rubber Mutes.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    83Sunburst likes this.