Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass Player

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CptMorgan, Dec 24, 2004.

1. CptMorgan

CptMorgan

Dec 24, 2004
    Hey I've been playing guitar for a little less then a year now and I'm starting to get intrested in bass but I'm not sure which kind of bass I should buy. From what I understand electric bass has a different kind of amp then a guitar so I think and electric is out of the question because of the money. So what kind of bass would you guys recommend for a first buy (Below 250$).

2. Hey,

Let me put in a suggestion for Brice or SX basses. I've had mine for well over a year and I still use it as a backup to the Warwicks and Moduli (Moduluses?) I've had. After a setup they are great. Cheap and reliable, and sound pretty good too. www.rondomusic.bigstep.com

May I also suggest you check out the search feature - There are tons and tons of threads that will help you with your decision.

3. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    There are a number of inexpensive basses in the Squier line, including Precision and Jazz copies, as well as the Bronco, which are at least basses you should audition. Compare them to the Fender Standard P and J models

4. Jazzbasslover

Jazzbasslover

Dec 8, 2004
    Many companies nowadays make packages that come with a bass, amp, and other acsessories that you might need that are priced around your budget, maybe $50 to $100 more, so it may be worth it to save a little more and check them out. Some of the companies that market these starter packages are Fender, Ibanez, Hartke, and, B.C. Rich among others. I would steer clear of an acoustic bass guitar with your budget because I've played some in that price range that were just horrible in every respect tone wise and quality wise. However, I have played many great electric instruments in your price range most notably Fender and Peavey. I've never played an Essex but have heard nothing but good things about them and they are definately priced within your budget. You might want to look for a good used instrument as well. I have 2 Mexican made Fender Jazz basses that I bought for $200 and $225 used and enjoy both of them. Do you have a home theater system in your home? If you do and the subwoofer is powered you can play your bass through the subwoofer with the correct cable which can found at any Radio Shack. This would be OK until you can find an amp. Try several basses before you buy. You don't necessarily have to buy the first one that screams "buy me". If you want to play bass badly enough then there's one out there somewhere with your name on it. PM me when you find one and let me know how you like it.

5. I agree with KJones, take a look at the Squier line. You can't go wrong with a Fender product.

6. saxybill1

saxybill1 Attorney

Nov 9, 2004
    Virginia
    Hmmm, I'd have to question reference to the Squire line; however, I would suggest the Mexican Fenders, Sx's and Brice as mentioned above. These would provide you with decent tone and build. The Squires do well as "lamps" only, and will not provide you with enough insentive to continue practicing, IMO. I'm a sax player by profession (with bass being my pick me up, fun). Initially, I started with a Selmer Bundy sax, the low end of the Selmer line (just as squire is to fender). After a couple of years on this bundy, I all but gave it up, until my folks bought me a Selmer Mark VI. Changed my life, went to Berkely School of Music and the rest is history. My thoughts on this is to find a bass you like, but get a decent one. I've heard great things on the SX's and the Brices. A Mexican Fender is decent as well, but I'd suggest taking someone that knows basses with you to help you get started. All in all, if you stick with it, you'll graduate to different basses; however, if you hang it up (like I almost did), the resale of Brice and Mexican's fair pretty well. Squires don't, just check out ebay for the numerous Squires being sold for $50.00 to $100.00.
    Good luck to you and this new adventure.

7. Yo, CPT, you should be able to get a used "Made In Mexico" Fender bass at $250-$300, which is better than going Squier. I have one from 1999? and it works.

As for amp... well I practice with a Hartke B300 at $120 (I think) Anyway, it's cool... sounds good. But yeah DO NOT BUY A GUITAR AMP FOR THE BASS... or viceversa!

8. I would also have to agree with looking at buying a Mexican Fender. I agree that it would be a better purchase than a Squier but at the same time you have to look at how serious you are about playing and then decide what you want to spend.

9. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I'm sympathetic to what the gentlemen are saying in reference to the superiority of the MIMexico to the Squier line. However, we simply disagree on the bottom line. Certainly a Standard P or J is better, but CaptMorgan says he's "starting" to get interested in a bass. It doesn't sound like he's definite about making that commitment, and he's not even talking about which amp to buy yet. My suggestion was based on the fact that people in his position are more likely not to keep with the instrument than to keep playing. Better to keep his investment low until he's certain about his commitment to the bass.

Moreover, my son has a Squier Bronco, which I play from time to time for fun. It's not as bad as you are implying, and if it turns out that Morgan wants to stay with the instrument, a year from now he can move up to a Standard. My first bass way back in 1973 was a piece of crap fake Hofner Beatle bass, but by the time I figured out how bad it was, the bass bug had bitten, and I was off to bigger and better things. But of course, YMMV.

10. saxybill1

saxybill1 Attorney

Nov 9, 2004
    Virginia
    Sorry if my comments relating to Squires ruffled some feathers, it wasn't done with any negative intent. My suggestion has merit however, if the young man purchased a Mexican Jazz, and later decides to quit, at least his "investment" is not wasted, as a used Mexican still goes quite well, monetarily speaking. Yet, if he were to purchase a Squire, there is no investment should he decide that bass is not for him. Squires (based on fact) do not hold there value well, where as Mexicans' do fairly well. If he decides to stick with the bass, IMHO, a Mexican is a very good start, or as I stated above, the brices', from what others have said, do well as well. My only intent is to advise in starting with a "decent" bass, not the best or even near it. At times, it is much more difficult to play a lessor quality bass, than a "decent" one, even for the newby player. I've experienced this myself and I'm sure others would chime in as well, having the same experiemce. I just want the young guy to start out with half a chance. That's all.
    By the way, Merry Christmas to everyone.

11. Did your post say an electric bass is out of the question?

12. RNG

RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    Conway,S.C.
    Look at Dean or Ibanez or Fernandes. They have some cheap, nice basses. In fact, if I didnt see this Spector 5 string with Holoflash finish. I was going to get a Fernandes 5 string for about 300$

Of course if you cant get an electric bass. Try, Dean acoustics, Ibanez acoustics. And my favorite-Ovation Acoustics. Ovation makes some nice acoustic basses but they cost, and Rex Brown play em. But Dean has an acoustic bass called the EAB bass. It is about 200$ I think. Check www.musiciansfriend.com and have a look around.

13. First off, don't buy a bass right away. Go to as many stores as you can, and play everything they have. Especially in your price range, consistency is shaky, and you might find two of the same that "speak to you" in vastly different ways.
    A bass you can't help but pick up every time you get a free second is your ideal, because as others have said you want something that will fuel your interest, not stymie it because it sucks to play.
    My son got a Squier Bronco for X-mas last year, and he doesn't play it, partly because it's not as cool as Daddy's bass. Which brings me to my second point:
    If you find out you really want to play bass, don't be afraid to use what you learned thru in-store trial and error and the money saved while you were learning to get what you can really use. Granted, most people take the way of trading up, but that doesn't mean you have to waste as much dough as we did. :confused:
    Good luck, and remember, there is no dial on your car radio marked "guitar". :D

14. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well if you rule out electric then you're stuck with an acoustic which you'll eventually want to amplify so you'll end up getting an amp anyway or upright which will cost you more than an electric. For $250 you can get a bass and a cheap amp. Of course you'll need to upgrade but it is a cheap an easy way to introduce you to the bass to see if you like it.

15. Bassme

Bassme

Dec 26, 2004
    St-Louis
    If you want a cheap bass with good quality go for Ibanez, your gutar amp will do good for a bass amp but not for long until you blow it up. You can get llittle cube amps that are 15 watt for like 75$.

Go for an Ibanez Bass
    Peavy or Randall amps