New Bass Player....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by GreenDayGuy04, Jun 18, 2001.

1. GreenDayGuy04

Jun 18, 2001
    Hey, I have played guitar for about a year and a half, and am fairly good at it. Now I have a really good friend whos band is in search of a bassist, and they have gone through a few bassists that they didn't like, so they asked me because I am a real good friend. Now I havent ever even touched a bass, but I play bass on my guitar when were just screwing around. We play punk, so it shouldn't be too hard. Well, I have to go to band practice at 3, and I was wondering if I could get any quick tips? Im not completely clueless, I understand the basics ( I hope). I plan on learning much more, but i just needed some quick tips. Thanks.
  2. here's a tip for ya- listen to rancid before you write off punk bass as easy.

now about this band practice- will you be using an actual bass? because if you're planning to just play the bass parts on your guitar, i wouldn't bother, it'll never sound right, unless maybe you have one o them boss octave pedals.

if you are using a bass, my advice is:

-don't EQ in too much bass, emphasize the mids instead. a lot of beginning bassists assume they should dial in a lot of bass and in a live mix they end up sounding muddy and indistinct.

-turn up the volume on the bass all the way up all the time, and control your volume from the amp.

-don't attempt to play chords.

-restrain yourself from trying to slap.
  3. GreenDayGuy04

Jun 18, 2001
    Yeah, I plan on using a real bass. I didn't mean to imply that all punk bass it easy (im a big Rancid fan). Its just that were playing more blink/green day/weezer/ataris type stuff. Im gonna use a pick too, so I wont use slap. Thanks alot for the advice!