1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass Player....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by GreenDayGuy04, Jun 18, 2001.

1. GreenDayGuy04

GreenDayGuy04

Jun 18, 2001
    Hey, I have played guitar for about a year and a half, and am fairly good at it. Now I have a really good friend whos band is in search of a bassist, and they have gone through a few bassists that they didn't like, so they asked me because I am a real good friend. Now I havent ever even touched a bass, but I play bass on my guitar when were just screwing around. We play punk, so it shouldn't be too hard. Well, I have to go to band practice at 3, and I was wondering if I could get any quick tips? Im not completely clueless, I understand the basics ( I hope). I plan on learning much more, but i just needed some quick tips. Thanks.

2. here's a tip for ya- listen to rancid before you write off punk bass as easy.

now about this band practice- will you be using an actual bass? because if you're planning to just play the bass parts on your guitar, i wouldn't bother, it'll never sound right, unless maybe you have one o them boss octave pedals.

if you are using a bass, my advice is:

-don't EQ in too much bass, emphasize the mids instead. a lot of beginning bassists assume they should dial in a lot of bass and in a live mix they end up sounding muddy and indistinct.

-turn up the volume on the bass all the way up all the time, and control your volume from the amp.

-don't attempt to play chords.

-restrain yourself from trying to slap.

3. GreenDayGuy04

GreenDayGuy04

Jun 18, 2001
    Yeah, I plan on using a real bass. I didn't mean to imply that all punk bass it easy (im a big Rancid fan). Its just that were playing more blink/green day/weezer/ataris type stuff. Im gonna use a pick too, so I wont use slap. Thanks alot for the advice!